Poisoned trees

Taupotreeman

Amazing that the police aren't getting involved!

I have not heard of the sugared water treatment before and would be interested in getting more details on this. Does it work with Glyphosate poisoning?

Have you thought about setting up a stealth cam in the area to get actual footage of the perpetrators at work? Getting such footage aired on the TV would surely act as a deterrent and surely the police would have to pay attention then. I suppose the difficulty would be knowing where they were going to strike next.

Were the trees blocking a view or dropping leave into someone's property?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it depends on what environmental legislation is in place in New Zealand. The protection for non cultivated plants here is patchy, (criminal damage only relates to plants that are owned by somebody ie planted & tended). "Wild trees" may have some protection under environmental legislation, TPO's etc but, as always,other crimes take precedence. Perhaps our new crime commissioners can be persuaded to raise the precedence of such crimes!

why waste the money on these pillocks. As you can probably tell, I haven't calmed down any.

And why should you calm down?

Is no-one there forward-thinking enough to make a stand: plant replacements, put up CCTV, publicise the whole thing and deal with any culprits?

If this was a one-off the above would be OTT of course but it seems to be a habit that needs breaking.

Amazing that the police aren't getting involved!

I have not heard of the sugared water treatment before and would be interested in getting more details on this. Does it work with Glyphosate poisoning?

Have you thought about setting up a stealth cam in the area to get actual footage of the perpetrators at work? Getting such footage aired on the TV would surely act as a deterrent and surely the police would have to pay attention then. I suppose the difficulty would be knowing where they were going to strike next.

Were the trees blocking a view or dropping leave into someone's property?

Yeah, like I say; we tried the police once before and they weren't really interested. That time the council supervisor at the time went on to site and met a local resident who had caught the poisoner red handed with roundup and funnel in hand. Police reckoned they hadn't enough evidence :confused1:

We thought about putting a camera up one of the trees just in case the poisoner came back and tried a second dose but we reckon he's done a pretty good job and wont need to come back for a second go.

We're not sure if it was one of the residents that has his property shaded by the trees or someone up on the hill whose view of the lake is blcoked. Whichever, the trees were there long before the residents were. We've also had a Totara hacked, two Oaks drilled and growth hormone poured into them and several other trees hacked.

And why should you calm down?

Is no-one there forward-thinking enough to make a stand: plant replacements, put up CCTV, publicise the whole thing and deal with any culprits?

If this was a one-off the above would be OTT of course but it seems to be a habit that needs breaking.

Yep, two of us that are forward thinking and that's the arb unit (myself and my 2IC). Nobody else really seems to care that much, at least not enough to do anything about it. They all make the right noises but when it comes time for action they all head for the nearest rock. We wanted to put a front page advert in the local rag. Taupo District Council offers substantial reward for information leading to charges against the poisoner of trees in Kinloch Reserve. That was definately a no go. Here's another one that the locals didn't like because it blocked their view of the lake. We also took down two butchered Oaks and we have 3 more Oaks to go and two Birch trees on the berm that residents have "looked after" for us. That means they've hacked them.

2010_1216arsontree0002.jpg.c9ba787ed85f197c90ea625dc1314df6.jpg

Yep, two of us that are forward thinking and that's the arb unit (myself and my 2IC). Nobody else really seems to care that much, at least not enough to do anything about it. They all make the right noises but when it comes time for action they all head for the nearest rock. We wanted to put a front page advert in the local rag. Taupo District Council offers substantial reward for information leading to charges against the poisoner of trees in Kinloch Reserve. That was definately a no go. Here's another one that the locals didn't like because it blocked their view of the lake. We also took down two butchered Oaks and we have 3 more Oaks to go and two Birch trees on the berm that residents have "looked after" for us. That means they've hacked them.

Point taken! Keep any e-mails etc that show you've made the effort because one day a resident who genuinely likes trees will make noises and ask 'what are the tree guys doing about it?' The ones hiding behind their rocks now will stay there but point fingers at you: we all know how they work.

Best of luck to you but it looks like an uphill struggle there.

More seriously, a bit like France, trees are 2 a penny.

With so many of them around no-one really values them.

I often see ancient hedgerow oaks felled to make way for a new build or because the acorns need sweeping up once a year...

My perception from 6 months spent traveling and working is that N.Z creates a myth that it is a caring ecological place.

Its already felled most viable native forests and replanted with radiata.

The people drive cars with big engines, D.O.C drop poison pellets by aircraft over entire valleys to kill invasive species (also kills and poisons everything else)

Intensive dairy production causing high nitrates from fertiliser and slurry and all those bloody tourists flying in and driving around too boot!

Ty