Some seasoning results

gensetsteve

Nice test Steve

Not entirely surprised that barn drying was better than indoors but a bit surprised just how dry the barn dried wood got.

This year we have had a go at drying logs in IBC crates outside and this has got beech down to 22% since late spring and some ash in a more enclosed shed that has had 3 years is also only down to 22%. There is no doubt that good air circulation is key to drying wood quickly.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a research scientist by profession I sometimes deal with unexpected results. And while the unexpected does occasionally happen (and is very exciting when it does), the burden of proof required is higher if you want to contradict a long standing dogma.

Given this, I'm sure you agree that difference between a heated dry room v. a cold draughty barn (especially given the recent low temps and the misty damp weather we had a couple of weeks ago) is very surprising.

Is it at all possible the two samples could have been mixed up by accident at some point ?

If you are confident that these initial results are correct can they be repeated ? This would be both on multiple sticks in that bag [known as technical replicates] and whole new bags split now and stored in office / barn repeated from scratch [experimental replicates]?

Do you have controls of known wet and known dry wood you can use to confirm that the moisture meter is giving sensible readings ?

Please dont get me wrong - I'm not trying to be antagonistic ! Just trying to be scientifically thorough so that we can shed some light on the mystery.

Cheers,

FG

Yes you are right not exactly accurate and nothing is 100 % they came from the same plank. Yes it could be tried again.

My office is not heated and the sticks were only on the boiler lit once for approx 6-8 hrs during the two weeks. The bag of sticks were 38% when put on shelf in barn and now two weeks later the whole bag is recording 20% . I would expect the shelf bag to be higher and the cooked sticks to be bone dry ? surprised me if it keeps my interest I will get more anally scientific and have another go.

What do you think would be an easier test. Leave one bag in wind one in container ?

drove my motorrbike right through france last yr,,and saw field apon field of 1 meter long firewood stacked under tin sheets just drying in the wind,,,they seem to all be doing it the same way,,,, I put some soaking wet oak in my lean too last yr stacked to the roof,,six months later bone dry,,,,,,bingo!

Interesting, this. My woodshed here in North Argyll faces the prevailing wind (SW, which is frequently strong), and is made of pallets....It gets a good blow straight across the front of the pile regularly, and since building the store facing the wind, I've noticed that my wettest timber dries significantly quicker. The store is fully vented, via pallets, but has a solid roof, finished with roof felt to keep the top of the stack dry, the floor is also made of pallets.....

Thats exactly the case with my dutch barn. Ibc crates stacked three high with the wind constantly blowing through it I can have logs below 20% in two months easy. Which is why I think what alot of what is written here about seasoning is total pooh :sneaky2:

yes but if its dried in 2 weeks is it dried but not seasoned if you do the same with softwoods the resin could potentially still be present so therefore its dry but not seasoned :confused1: