Make a difference day

WoodMouse

If it wasn't for people volunteering to help, lots of things would be left undone and the local area would be in even more rag order than it is. Strangely enough, a group of people on here volunteered and worked for free not so long ago and I don't remember anybody thinking that was a bad thing :001_rolleyes:. If it's something that is going to make life better and nobody is going to do it otherwise then why not. :001_smile:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it wasn't for people volunteering to help, lots of things would be left undone and the local area would be in even more rag order than it is. Strangely enough, a group of people on here volunteered and worked for free not so long ago and I don't remember anybody thinking that was a bad thing :001_rolleyes:. If it's something that is going to make life better and nobody is going to do it otherwise then why not. :001_smile:

:thumbup1:

Free enterprise allows the free market to dictate the price based on supply and demand.

When any government attempts to involve it's self with free enterprise or private industry the results are always failure. The government uses and abuses funds collected

based on taxes collected by PRIVATE INDUSTRY. Private industry does not for the most part depend on the government for its existence, however with out private industry you would not be interested in the alternative, at least I would not. People working for free is fine if one can afford it. FYI, working for free and Volunteering are Two different things.

easy-lift guy

Sorry, I don't see a difference between working for free and volunteering, unless you are referring to slavery - In which case I will not post again on this thread.

I was not referring to slavery?, really curious where that came from. When you work do you work to receive payment for goods or services rendered or do you work for free?

People that work for free have some means of supporting them selfs for basic needs like food clothing and shelter. People that work for them selfs in order to earn a profit after expenses are in all likelyhood a majority of the members of AT. There are still others that work for Councils that are competing against the private sector for the very business that provides a income for said workers. Weather you work for yourself or a company I would think that taxes are deducted from your wages in order to fund basic services provided by council?. If you think about it your competing against yourself in the open market in order to keep people employed, or do you understand that point.

easy-lift guy

All the otherwise unemployables working in your local council offices have to be over paid and have their gold plated pension sorted first.

Strikes a chord, I'm baby boomer generation and my sensible contempories took jobs with good pensions and now have been retired for a decade.

Met one at a funeral, ex senior DWP management, who now volunteers doing woodland management for NT on a site I was the regular contractor for.

I don't particularly resent it and my pension prospects are such that I need to die long before the age my father did, he retired at 53 with a state pension which still pays my mother's keep and is better than my pay.

What concerns me is the loss of productivity affecting the overall economy.

people should pick up there rubbish instead of throwing it on the floor anyhow! i was up snowdon a few weeks ago and i recon if i had a few bin bags i could have filled up four on my way down from the top people go up there to enjoy the outdoors etc and still disrespect it!! go figure

You just dont get how it works over here.

If the volunteers didnt do the clean up it simply wouldnt get done, they arent competing because the work isnt up for tender.

Thats more my view. It seems these services are just not valued. So they make out that if volunteers dont do it no one will. And thats not the case, they dont have the money to do it. And as far as im aware, we already paid for it.