Rates of pay?

Treeman1

No it wasn't and well you know it...ffs

I can read you like a book chap, you were brought up in some sort of "Cult" that as fecked your way of thinking up...Or should i say made a working class lad think like a tory!!!

I cant find the thread at the moment......But did you not say you just took the first overdraft out for your company....If ya missus was working/helping pay the bills, you wouldn't have to do that :biggrin:

:001_huh:

I have an overdraft, but I'm not in it.

I cover all our bill just fine thanks.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two camps of employees.

1. Those that work physically hard, still get it done when things go wrong and can be relied upon when the boss is off site.

2. Those that work physically hard, need guidance through the days tasks, would respect the gear more if they had to pay for it, loose motivation on a job they don't like, productivity drops when the boss is off site.

Historically I've always paid on ability, what a person brings to the table. I'll start them on an agreeable wage that I know I can sustain and as soon as (if) they become more productive, I'll pay them more. Although sadly I've been unable to do that the last few years.

Also, with this emphasis on what is fair, do you get good gear to work with or the worst?

I could pay my guys more tomorrow but I'd then have to supply the cheapest PPE and if they even lose a chain file I'd sack them!:sneaky2:

The best way to earn more money is to firstly be better than you were yesterday, then be consistently better than the guy standing next to you tomorrow. Simple.

If you can't do that then you should go complain to your Mum because she's the only person who really cares!:001_tt2:

There are two camps of employees.

1. Those that work physically hard, still get it done when things go wrong and can be relied upon when the boss is off site.

2. Those that work physically hard, need guidance through the days tasks, would respect the gear more if they had to pay for it, loose motivation on a job they don't like, productivity drops when the boss is off site.

Historically I've always paid on ability, what a person brings to the table. I'll start them on an agreeable wage that I know I can sustain and as soon as (if) they become more productive, I'll pay them more. Although sadly I've been unable to do that the last few years.

Also, with this emphasis on what is fair, do you get good gear to work with or the worst?

I could pay my guys more tomorrow but I'd then have to supply the cheapest PPE and if they even lose a chain file I'd sack them!:sneaky2:

The best way to earn more money is to firstly be better than you were yesterday, then be consistently better than the guy standing next to you tomorrow. Simple.

If you can't do that then you should go complain to your Mum because she's the only person who really cares!:001_tt2:

But these guys generally go set up on their own, can't really blame them we did the same :001_smile:

As you say if you want more money make yourself some one your boss comes to rely on and would not want to loose and would find very hard to replace.

If you ask for more money, but he could just let you go and find a replacement with easy, why should/would he pay more???

I always worked more hours rather than charge more.

The reason I found arbtalk is because I had started to work less since I had become a dad and I would browse the computer while the baby was sleeping.

I didn't reduce my hours until I was 30, up until then I just worked all the time, I always had work to do, I looked at it as a yearly wage rather than a daily rate.

But these guys generally go set up on their own, can't really blame them we did the same :001_smile:

As you say if you want more money make yourself some one your boss comes to rely on and would not want to loose and would find very hard to replace.

If you ask for more money, but he could just let you go and find a replacement with easy, why should/would he pay more???

Not always easy when the labour market is saturated, Dave. I can think of one firm I used to sub to where I used to find work for them, actively promote their services and firewood, push the PR on sites but when push came to shove, I was out the door and they kept on the subby that everybody always moaned about being lazy and cack-handed :001_rolleyes:. Mind you, it worked out well for me in the end :thumbup1:. As an employee, you have to be sensible about it and accept that it's not your train set so if you want more and it is not on offer, move on or put up with it. :001_smile:

just bake a cake :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Id say that your better off being employed if your only being paid 100 a day! You work out expenses and time off over x mas period alone and your looking at about 80 a day. Thats with out any holiday time...... Im a contract climber and i charge 160 a day i feel that it is justified, i provide rigging kit and climbing saw. and i always have at least 2 and half to 3 weeks of work booked in....... Ive heard storys of people earning 180 a day and indeed some times i earn that and more! Although that tendes to be once or twice a month, working with poorly equiped and inexperienced companys. I think to earn 900 a week every week is perhaps a bit far fetched!!??The average contractors wage in south of England is 130-140 a day.

agreed aaron. A lot of young lads think they can rock up with a couple of tickets and ask for £150 a day...its not going to happen fella's. Its got harder and harder to earn a crust as a freelancer in the last few years...people are prepared to work for less and for longer and a lot of companies are prepared to accept lower quality pruning. Money..it spoils everything! ;)

Reading some posts back i just wanna say that i have the up most respect for people who are running a tree buisness! However i have no sypathy for them when it comes to working long hours....... To earn lots of money you usually have to sacrafice something along the way. And the same goes to the employee who doesnt think he is getting paid enough....... We all started in the same place and we all have the same oppourtunitys.