Ash dieback fungus

baz

What's the nature of this disease? Elm still prospers here as a hedgerow plant but can't survive as a mature tree. I hope in another 300 years, elm will beat this disease and return. The ash thing is very worrying. I'm looking at planting out a couple acres for new coppice and ash was going to be a big part of it.

I could be wrong but I think the elm shoots from the very old root systems and reach about 12 - 20 feet before the the demise takes effect .

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does ... And will evolve to beat it but it takes time ... Aparently Chinese horse chestnut is immune to the whole bleeding canker gig as it was present in china thousands of years ago.. I do know of a few large elm woods that seem to be thriving above the normal crappy hedge row die back you see or so I hope ! I'm only going in what I have been told and my observations on that so feel free to shoot it down..

As for the ash it is an absolute tradgidy ... I live in a village called Ashwell , ash around the well and that is all that grows here apart from elm .. Would be devistating and makes me feel really depressed thinking of the out come to how my childhood country side would change to with out the ash In it..

It does ... And will evolve to beat it but it takes time ... Aparently Chinese horse chestnut is immune to the whole bleeding canker gig as it was present in china thousands of years ago.. I do know of a few large elm woods that seem to be thriving above the normal crappy hedge row die back you see or so I hope ! I'm only going in what I have been told and my observations on that so feel free to shoot it down..

As for the ash it is an absolute tradgidy ... I live in a village called Ashwell , ash around the well and that is all that grows here apart from elm .. Would be devistating and makes me feel really depressed thinking of the out come to how my childhood country side would change to with out the ash In it..

But does the chinese H chestnut grow from seed or sucker from the roots effectively making it a clone of the parent tree ?

With you on that sentiment bud . Brighton seems to have kept out the dutch elm . All around still suffer .

main problems aside from biodiversity ones are potential for restrictions of movements of timber, and orders to cut and burn all ash on site in affected areas. As a woodland manager that gets majority of income outside of grant fundings from firewood, that would hit the hell out of our business model. But hopefully won't come to that.

What will need destroying on site? Thought just branch and twig was destroyed and trunk could be used as firewood? Was in the wood today where I keep all my cord and looking around at all the ash that may disappear from the scene and I got quite choked up! Really sad state if they all have to come down.