Silky bit me!

pault

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another nasty cut and typical for Silky use when the oppsosite arm or hand is near the blade...I sympathise with you Billy and anyone else who has been bitten by a Silky...But...like with any cutting device if two hands aren,t being used then its best to keep your arm or hand well away. Training (Formal or otherwise) is given to keep the opperator safe using a chainsaw but i feel that this should also be given to Pruning saw use...Like i said earlier,a Silky cut can be worse than a chainsaw cut...A chainsaw has a scooped profile designed for chiseling out sliver after sliver whereas a silky is designed to open up a very thin kerf (Like a Scalpel as Mr Stockbridge said). It is more like "Tree Knife". i,m not trying to preach only advise. I choose a Silky over a climbing saw on most small hand thrown sections.it,s my favourite tool and i keep my (Spare) hand well away from it when cutting...if i,m step cutting a piece,i make my cuts,Sawpod my Silky then use both hands to snap and drop the section..i can only recommend that if you cut above or near your arm often then an arm protector is advisable and Honey Brothers stock them...Respect your Silky Lads!..that thing will bleed you to death in a worse case scenario...

francital.jpg.56d2879b9f833aca20857d7fbce15d80.jpg

It's been said on here before but it seems to me that these things are more dangerous and cause more injuries than a MS200, When I was at college we used bowsaws before they let us loose with chainsaws. (little chance of self harm)

I know people love these things but the number of injuries and extent of the damage must start bells ringing somewhere. HSE or the AA for example.

For the record I don't use them.

By the way I was first aid trained as a scuba instructor, but cut my teeth patching up loads of bad cuts etc on the free party scene in the early 90's with wasted falling over people. Quite a bit of it was quite messy and I got loads of complements for my patching skills from various A&E departments:001_smile:

I was with Spiral Tribe and my old VW was the go to ambulance / ambiance:001_smile:

You may well have have patched me up at some stage then albedo:thumbup:

Free party scene eh, I've seen some belting injuries at parties glad to be out of it there's no way I could of kept up that life with this job.

I received my first Silky Gomtaro this weekend and was shocked with how sharp and efficient it is. I reduced a very small Honey Locust with it and was seriously impressed.

The pictures of Trees and Billy's cuts made my toes curl. Hope the cuts heal with no lasting damage.

I will be giving lots of respect to my Silky.

I received my first Silky Gomtaro this weekend and was shocked with how sharp and efficient it is. I reduced a very small Honey Locust with it and was seriously impressed.

The pictures of Trees and Billy's cuts made my toes curl. Hope the cuts heal with no lasting damage.

I will be giving lots of respect to my Silky.

I hate having a new blade on my silky, they will work ok for years with a dulled blade. I only replace mine when I drop it in a pond or something.

If you wear gloves you get away with minor scratches and it still works on the small branches I use it on. It's more effort to use but less pain by far.

The best silky is a blunt silky:001_smile:

It's been said on here before but it seems to me that these things are more dangerous and cause more injuries than a MS200, When I was at college we used bowsaws before they let us loose with chainsaws. (little chance of self harm)

I know people love these things but the number of injuries and extent of the damage must start bells ringing somewhere. HSE or the AA for example.

For the record I don't use them.

Funnily enough the AWG are looking into the issue. It has been mentioned a couple of times in other business for us to work on, and here is the proof that some best practice may be required; for referencing at least.