First Aid/Emergency Procedures

madmatt

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

all on site staff have to have first aid cert and hazard id also has to have emergency procedures-our trucks are fitted with a big red button that is pressed in emergency and is direct to emergency services, trucks all have gps for positioning. luckily havent used the system yet so i hope it all works as well as it should>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

so out of five replies regarding what first aid quals are out there only 1 poster commented on Emergency plans? is that because they are non existant in most cases or just taken for granted?

Give me a chance to answer Mat, I do have a life outside of treetalk you know. The emergency plans are all in our site specific risk assessment's, which are thorough, you have my word.

As a sub-contractor I dont undertake them personally, just go through them with whom ever I'm working for that morning. And nothing is ever taken for granted. Thankyou

so out of five replies regarding what first aid quals are out there only 1 poster commented on Emergency plans? is that because they are non existant in most cases or just taken for granted?

we have emergency plans and all locations ect

but sadly there are always going to be team mates that will cope better than others we have a fully qualified guy with 12 years exp that coulnt rescue a paper bag out of the bin never mind dealing with an accident

There will allways be that scenario though I suppose. I have delt with a couple of badish accidents as a first aider, However if I have the accident and I start to bleed I'll be out cold on the floor! Can handle seeing other peoples blood just not my own LOL!

I did a 4 day course some years ago (needs updating) Anna did a 2 day course I think. The job sheets in the unimog have the clients address on and if we have staff with us we allways make sure they know where we are and where the mobile phones are etc.

On Monday I have a 1st aid at work course just a 1 day course by the red cross i've already done the 4 day course, 1 of the new guys will be with me on the course.

Our emergency procedures are the same as treesurfer.

Its a RA sheet with the usual generic tick boxes. On the front it has a space for site address if different from job sheet, the best access air/4x4/road. Contact number of nearest hospital, as well as usual 112/999. And a tick box for mobile phone signal strength.

An emergency plan is formed on everyjob, nothing to complicated, just along the lines of, shout for/get assitance, perform aerial rescue, carry out 1st aid.

Then we nominate someone to be designated rescuer, he'll have his kit laid out and ready.

Our emergency procedures work very well! As they were put to a test, without details a climber hurt himself in the tree. As soon as the designated rescuer saw this he alerted a new member of the team told him to go to the truck get the RA sheet with site address and call for an ambulance, then wait for this to arrive (and to come back and tell him that the call is made and estimated arrival time) this took minutes to do, and left him free to deal with the climber.

The climber was able to get himself to the ground unaided, the rescuer gave him prompt 1st aid, and reassurance. The ambulance arrived quickly and the other crew member lead them to the site.

All in all from the moment the accident occured till the injured climber was in the ambulance was around 15mins.

Even with a well drilled team with good kit and training accidents do happen.

So do any of you have emergency plans with your job sheet? from your employers, Or do you supply them to your employees?

i know that walkers have a laminated sheet in ever vehicle with all the hospitals in the midlands and phone numbers and a good risk assesment for on the job

and i have done first aid for appointed persons, and missed out on a more intense course because i was told i already had it but didnt!!!!!!!!!

just read marcs post, what if like in my mates situation it takes the ambulance 55 mins to get to a serious accident, there was nothing they could' do except put his head on a blokes knees, keep him warm and reassure him!!!! oh and we didnt move him but he did have a nice bed of chip and nettles!!!!!