Glyphosate! Very serious heads up!

redmoosefaction

I've always considered glyphosate applied in a cut just behind the bark all round and then capped with a sliver of the tree cut from the stump previously to be fairly contained and protected.

I think so called eco plugs are a way of making us spend unnecessarily though I like the idea of not carrying liquid glyphos about.

I still find glyphos extreemly effective.

I am worried that it causes cancer. If it causes cancer. This has yet to be proved I assume. Lets get it in perspective - beer causes cancer and you wouldn't worry about necking 10 pints of the stuff. In fact salt causes cancer.:001_smile:

Most chemicals get taken off the market and I think this is often down to detection in the water supply. It is important for anyone using chemicals to use them responsibly- not the old fashioned way.

I can understand why farmers use glyphos

3L per hectare= about £8 - pretty cheap weed control. Try weeding by hand- I've done it- =hard work

One of the best points about Eco plugs for me is that the client can see that you have actually gone to the effort of bosching something into the stumps, whereas they have to take your work for it if you spray.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timbrel?...I'll give that a go. As an aside, I was freelancing for a firm a couple of years ago and they had a bad habit of mixing up glyphosate and putting it in Evian bottles!. Needless to say, one day it ended up in my sandwiches when the bottle split (its a wonder nobody drank the stuff!). Everything tasted metallic for a day or so and drank litres of milk for 24 hours. Apart from that I was fine. Am I doomed?...perhaps I should hit the pub a bit more often just in case? :)

Timbrel?...I'll give that a go. As an aside, I was freelancing for a firm a couple of years ago and they had a bad habit of mixing up glyphosate and putting it in Evian bottles!. Needless to say, one day it ended up in my sandwiches when the bottle split (its a wonder nobody drank the stuff!). Everything tasted metallic for a day or so and drank litres of milk for 24 hours. Apart from that I was fine. Am I doomed?...perhaps I should hit the pub a bit more often just in case? :)

Dunno, still haven't managed to read the article! :001_smile:

As has already been pointed out the latest thing which is declared safe is typically shown to be a bit dodgy further down the line, presumably they must've done some basic LD50 tests to get it on the market so i wouldn't bother worrying about it if you're still alive, suppose you could forward a copy of the article (if you get a copy :001_smile:) to your former employer to remind him to be a bit more careful.

Apparently it can prove lethal - lots of Indian farmers have committed suicide by drinking it, not sure of the quantities they've ingested, but rather than as a result of leaky Evian bottles i think it's because they've been shafted by contracts which, amongst other things, prevent them from saving seeds to replant the following year Vandana Shiva: From Seeds of Suicide to Seeds of Hope: Why Are Indian Farmers Committing Suicide and How Can We Stop This Tragedy?

Thanks to Monsanto…the original patent holder on Roundup /Glyphosate it’s in the food chain and you can’t avoid ingesting it.

US patents run out after a period of time so Monsanto got patents on Roundup resistant crops in order to extend their stranglehold on the herbicide market. They did this by using GM by the way.

The glyphosate residues on these crops are in the food chain right now and have been for years.

Welcome to unrestrained capitalism boys and girls:001_smile:

An interesting read. This information has been washing around for a number of years in the 'green earth' press in the USA.

very recently there was an amendment to the UK/EU label for glyphosate. there has been no posting so far on the UK pesticied site, but have to monitor it.

I think its fair to say that weather you like glyphosate or not, all us old moaners that go on and on about tickets so you use these things properly, wearing the right ppe etc is just so important.

years ago when the pesticide tickets forst came out i remember watching a film news clip of some chap from i think ici drink some gloop he had invented and say its so safe you can drink it if memory servs me right it was 245d lol

just remember whatever it is you are using be safe follow the instructions wear your ppe

arbocop

It's probably worth pointing out that glyphosate (under it's various trade names) is available in every B&Q in the country, and numerous other outlets. I'm sure most casual users purchasing this type of glyphosate will hardly wear any PPE, and could well get a bigger dose than those using it regularly, and correctly. Even though it's not the commercial version, it still contains the active ingredient, glyphosate.

It's probably worth pointing out that glyphosate (under it's various trade names) is available in every B&Q in the country, and numerous other outlets. I'm sure most casual users purchasing this type of glyphosate will hardly wear any PPE, and could well get a bigger dose than those using it regularly, and correctly. Even though it's not the commercial version, it still contains the active ingredient, glyphosate.

Possibly, but I think eating supermarket veg and peeing on your weeds will give them a bigger dose of the active than the flavoured water they sell at B&Q.... :001_rolleyes::001_smile: