P/h rate of a stump grinder?

willburt

Thanks guys, I had a chap in yard other day with a jcb(or comatsu) he charged me £50/h. Can gaurentee he won't turn up with his digger, mog and lo loader for an hr! Plus I don't know many that can get through a 37" gateway.

When I priced it I was thinking I've got the machine, trailer, another truck, myself, insurance and fuel/ware n tare. It's soon up there with a jcb

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few weeks ago I sloged my guts out grinding for 3 day with my rg13 for 180 per day didnt think its was too bad till I did a 70, 85 and a 95 and was home by 3ish not hurting, not sure if giving an hrly rate is wise as if it go's well you dont benefit. Day rates not to bad but they will always think you are trying to rob them, the way to make money from grinding is lots of little jobs in a day on quoted price.

It is interesting to know what sort of hrly rate people like to get as a base rate to work out there pricing and how it differs for machine size, bigger machines cost more but do the job quicker, smaller can get in most places but you have to work hard with them.....

A jcb and driver will more than likely do more than a couple of hours on a site at a time. If you called one up and asked him to do an hours work 30 miles away I bet he'd want more than £30+ vat.

its more to compare,

a jcb @ £25 x 8 £200 +vat = £240

stumpgrinder @ £40 x 8 = £320+vat =£384

completeley depends on the size of the stump grinder. A pepestrian one i cant see being worth more than £25 per hr with a minimum charge of £50.

I admit to being a terrible accountant but... here's my math on the subject.

If a Ped grinder bought outright costing £7k could do 1500hrs and still be saleable for say £1500 then it costs you £5.5 per hour.

Using 4.2 litres of fuel (27hp petrol) per hour £5.5

Teeth and pockets...say £5 per hour

Oils, belts, filters and repairs allowance £3

All in all, I think more like £20 in running costs alone.

Then there is wages, transport, insurances blah blah blah AND PROFIT of course...:sneaky2:

Ty

Well...

It is all we have FOR NOW and I do work all day with it for single clients.

Like a J.R.Terrier I will attack anything!

Lines of coni hedges, a plantation of 100 spruce, lines of poplars and recently a row of chuffing great thuyia stumps and also 5 huge pine stumps that took all day and all charged out at 480euros per day.

Oh yes, its hard work all right but also the route to affording and justifying greater machines.

Normally, its a 'bolt on' for domestic work but when there is the work it answers the call.

For the future, there is a Bandit we have have our eye on...2550 with all the bells and whistles...

On Monday, I recieved this smart flyer from a business some 30km South of us. I guess its been sent out to local garden and arb companies. I'm going to call them today to ask. Let you know later what they charge.

Ty

5976620208902_Largergrinderservice001.jpg.e1d951b3112dd3939b37af0eed459027.jpg