what would you pay?

chazzer

I know this has been asked many times but how much a day for someone with there own saw ,PPE, and fuel? I have been asked to clear fell about 3-4 acres of sweet chestnut. I have done some work for the people before on a price and everyone was happy. Although today the owner of the woods rang me up and said if i was interested in some day work at weekends so of course i said yes he asked me how longer day i would work so 7-5 and he came back with £25 a day! is this the going rate now? what would you expect to get?

Charlie

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect you will get a volatile response to that. If anyone bothers.

I would have assumed the £25 was closer to an hourly rate than daily.

How much per day were you charging before?

My answer to his 'suggested rate' would be 2 words.

People extract the urine. A biomass buyer offered me £10 an hr to fell and stack. Thats tractor and saw.

I never replied. If you are working 7-5. 10 hrs at £2.50 an hr thats not going to cover costs.

I would want £150 a day if it was a short distance away for 8 hours. We are not riding enduro bikes around the woods for fun.

Its time people factored in our health, endurance and crippled retirement to come.

Otherwise you may as well be a postie, more money, less wear and tear and no overheads or assets.

To buy just the saw would take 22 days of work then 4-5 for ppe trousers etc........

Result is Reply with a proper days rate and one way or other the matter will sort.

that's what i thought! although i forgot to say that i am only 16 and currently no tickets but i don't want this thread to revolve around having no tickets insurance and so on i have been on a course although unofficial with a instructor and covered cs 30 31 and 32 and also my father has worked in the woods most of his life so i can handle a saw