My Land Rover Defender 130

madmatt

I can't weld that well, its functional rather than pretty, I got a mate to tidy up my bumper. I used to work for an ag engineer and went to night school to learn to stick weld. I'd like to go back and lern to perfect MIG and then get a mig plant, I have a bigish stick plant at the moment

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its little repairs you want to do, you cant beat a little inverter stick welder. I have a 130 amp model thats about the size of a small cereal packet, so dead easy to set up, and no gas needed.

To get a good mig plant, budget on spending £8-900 for a decent model, + an argoshield bottle account with BOC (pub gas makes for bad welds).

I use a large size argoshield bottle, and have a 290amp mig on single phase - but I had to have a heavy duty main curcuit put in for that. Small cheap migs tend to be just about good enough for car body repairs, no more.

Can you Tig with one of those little invertor welders Ed?

Tig is one thing I have never done and want to try. I have done stainless welding for British Nuclear fuels as well would you believe.

But they insist on stick welding and wouldn't allow any Mig

Tig is so neat though, would love to try it. have heard it is similar to trying to weld with oxy/acet

Too much of a pain in the rear to sell, there's better money doing trees if you have the work in, ok to sell chip if you go a bit quiet.

Why not do both? If it was just me and a groundy I wouldn't have time for it, but it's silly not to sell it if you can. Just wait till you've got 3 or 4 orders then pay someone else to load it up and deliver it for you whilst your out with your groundy doing the tree work. You will easily cover a mans wages for the day and have a decent bit left over for yourself.

Still, the less tree surgeons that grasp these opportunities the better it is for me:icon14:

Move along move along!!!, c'mon this is my landy thread its not the place for you lot to harp on about boring old chips! LOL there is a a whole forum for that!:wave::wave:

My landy mates said "at least he's onto canals now"

The canal mates said "chainsaws are more interesting than puddle clay"

My commercial mates say "why the feck he doesn't do approved welder status rather than wasting money on c.s."

Ought to leave you all in peace,BUT;

I like the trees on our canal,are those fungal growths serious? The tree health threads are read with huge interest,and the book list noted.

Rumour is that a climber is joining our group!!!!

Back to madmatts point,its a l/r thread.THREE SERIES 1's IN PIECES and the 60th looming.

My best mate says "any chance of a walk":heeeelllllooooo: