My Land Rover Defender 130

madmatt

Morning folks, Ok a lot of people have asked questions about my Landy and what its used for etc etc. Kev even asked for a dedicated thread so here goes! Steve sorry if its on the wrong board wasn't sure where to put it!

Right I bought the 130 on October the 4th 2004 from G&S Drake in wakefield (Highly recommended) and it looked something like this,

3.jpg

I knew instantly the box body was coming off the back as I hate the dam things. Cash was short so a mate offered me the pick up tub off his old 110

hi-capacity for little cash. So I bought that and ran round with a gap between the cab and pick up for many months. I should point out at this stage I've misplaced the disc with all the constructing pics on so will update post if I find it.

After about 6 months the same friend started to make the tool box that fits between the pick up and cab its full width with roller shutter doors.

130022.jpg

I then ply lined the box and made the pull out draws etc. Then came the Hydraulic project. i wanted to run a Log splitter, I didn't have a tractor so decided to fit a hydraulic pump driven by the PTO on the Lnad Rovers Transfer Box. This gave me the advantage of also being able to fit a hydraulic winch, which for commercial work is much more reliable than the 12volt electric winches. The log splitter isn't huge but you'd be suprised by what it will split.

130082.jpg

There is a toolbox running the full length of one side of the pick up tub it does reduce load space but the front half houses the hydraulic tank and all the valves etc. the rear half is accesible through the tailgate and is handy for the storage of axes, felling levers and the pull out vice which is so handy for saw maintenance on site.

130026.jpg

Then of course there is all the lights! land rover head lights are known for being shocking which is why I fitted the huge spots to the A bar. I've also re-wired the headlights through relays straight off the battery through relays which is a vast improvement. I used to work for the rigts of way department and used to spend a lot of time putting out traffic management to allow roadside working, now of course I still get roadside working on tree jobs so the hazard markings and amber beacons are still used.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

003.jpg

Due to the lack of rear vision a reversing camera was fitted with a monitor installed in the cab and of course all the switching for the oh so many lights.

Today016.jpg

Today010.jpg

Then came the greedy boards, again made by my friend who has an agricultural engineering business I'll add another post to the thread just showing general pics of the motor it will hopefully give you an idea of how its evolved over its 3 years with me. the next project is to make the rear body into a tipper so watch this space.

Right I feel I need to explain why I choose a Land Rover as a lot of people are very anti LR and allways imply I'm a fan thats why I chose it! well thats not strictly true.

I wanted a vehicle that grossed at 3.5 tonnes was four wheel drive and could legally tow 3.5 tonnes. I'd tried japanese pick ups not one could gross at the required weight, niether can they tow the same amount. Towing is a large part of the old girls job not just a chipper but a huge ifor loaded with logs or a mini digger. The land rover is also permanent four wheel drive allowing lowbox to be selected for reversing heavy trailers without the tyre scrub the jap pickups get when their front free wheeling hubs are engaged.

The engine is a 300tdi it's easily maintained there is no engine management systems to worry about. It is more refined than the older LR models so is quieter and I can happily chat to a pasenger while hammering down the motorway at 70. I appreciate Land Rovers get a bad press for reliability and that can be true for newer models, however the key to reliablility of some thing the age of mine is maintenance! It works bloody hard so its serviced every six thousand miles by the local independant expert. Depreciation is almost non existant on a Defender of this age if its looked after and well maintained. thats hard to achieve with a japanese pick up.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask I'll do my best to answer them.

right one last post with some general pics on its way!

Today020.jpg

Today008.jpg

004.jpg

I must also point out this land rover build hasn't been no expensre spared its been a hard slog that would not have beenpossible without my friend the Agricultural engineer or my mate that works at the local auto electricians both have worked for favours, logs, small amounts of cash and just the buzz of seeing pride in their work.

That's pretty good..any more details on the PTO for the hydraulics? Is that something you bought in?

What details would you like? There is a PTO drive fitted as standard to a defender gear box, I bought a pump and fitting kit from maxi drive. I then bought the winch as a kit and bought an extra slice for the standard valve block which allowed the auxilery circuit to be fitted. all hoses etc were made up by my friend. The hydraulic tank was second hand.

I forgot to mention earlier I also have a concrete breaker and hydraulic drive drill that run off the Auxilary circuit.

Its not that hard, you unbolt the PTO cover and bolt on the PTo unit with the pump attached. then drill a hole in the seat box to pass the PTO lever into the cab. I think when i bought it the PTO and pump cost 295+vat. I bought it from

http://www.4x4winches.com/index.php?page=products.htm

then of course you need a tank, valves and hoses. what you thinking of powering?