'Little' Shot

WorcsWuss

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get a heavy duty groundbait catapult from a fishing tackle supplier

The hyperdog has legs Tony!

You do need a big throw to launch something heavy enough to bring a throw line back down. Anything hand held I just don't think will cut it.

Unless it's a crossbow of course!

I'll try to film it. Somehow....

I waste a lot of time titting around with my throw bag, so I would love to find a reasonably accurate - and cheap - way of hoiking it up into smaller trees, 30 feet at a time would be nice....

Has anyone every tried launching a standard throw bag & line with a hand catapult, like a Black Widow or Diablo type thing?

A Big Shot is out of the question but for under 20 quid, if a hand catapult will do it, that would pay for itself before mid morning coffee.....

Thoughts...?

Had exactly the same idea!

Have only been climbing for about a year and I'm finally getting better with a throw line!

I use the cradle technique, used to burn my fingers, but don't seem to much anymore. I find that I can't throw over anything if I wear gloves.

And as for tangled in twigs..... Well I'm on my 3rd throw bag, and have rescued my cambium saver at least twice xD!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

We are getting lots of mice in the house with the weather on the turn, so the traps have been out for a few days. Mrs. Lumberjack don't like emptying the traps, so it's my job. Had 2 this morning, nice clean kills, and normally I take them down to the hedge at the bottom of our garden, 30 meters or so, and toss them in the field for mr. fox.

Today though I had an idea! instead of walking across the soaking lawn in a strong drizzle, I decided to launch micky and miney to their final resting place.... Micky went fine, straight out the window, and just cleared the hedge by a foot or so. Figured on a bit more power for Miney as I didn't want her to fall short and get " Abused" by the dogs, so pulled back to full reach, and...... miss fire! She hit the window reveal at mach 3, leaving a bloody stain the size of a 50p. Wife regrets me getting Hyperdog despite me telling her its a tool for work! Women!

Just picked up on this thred and untill this point was thinking about what a good work tool this could be and now my wife wants to know why im sniggering away like a fool :001_rolleyes:

Have done some more experimenting with this today.

All went well, apart from a couple of minor issues.

The first was the obvious bodged mounting to the pole.

This has now been fixed and as well as being more stable, it looks a bit neater....:blushing:

The other issues are not quite so straight forward....:001_huh:

The golf ball flies a treat, doesn't bounce off branches in any particularly spectacular way, however.... It don't come back down! :laugh1:

I'm going to experiment a bit further with adding weight to it, but that's going to limit the achievable height, which really is 'only just' useful as it is....

The alternative, which would help both up and down, is a lighter line.

As much as I enjoy fiddling, fettling and problem solving, this is all just highlighting how much I really want a big shot! :biggrin:

I can throw a weight (10ounce) 25-30 metres, in the u.k that will cover 99.99% of trees!

Groundbait catapults come in a range of wieght, and will throw soggy balls of groundbait (about 8-10 ounces) well over 30 metres.

cross bow would be my preferred method, and an american fishing bow at that

I can throw a weight (10ounce) 25-30 metres, in the u.k that will cover 99.99% of trees!

Groundbait catapults come in a range of wieght, and will throw soggy balls of groundbait (about 8-10 ounces) well over 30 metres.

cross bow would be my preferred method, and an american fishing bow at that

I can't throw a weight 25 to 30 feet with any accuracy! :lol: