'Little' Shot

WorcsWuss

I waste a lot of time titting around with my throw bag, so I would love to find a reasonably accurate - and cheap - way of hoiking it up into smaller trees, 30 feet at a time would be nice....

Has anyone every tried launching a standard throw bag & line with a hand catapult, like a Black Widow or Diablo type thing?

A Big Shot is out of the question but for under 20 quid, if a hand catapult will do it, that would pay for itself before mid morning coffee.....

Thoughts...?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I waste a lot of time titting around with my throw bag, so I would love to find a reasonably accurate - and cheap - way of hoiking it up into smaller trees, 30 feet at a time would be nice....

Has anyone every tried launching a standard throw bag & line with a hand catapult, like a Black Widow or Diablo type thing?

A Big Shot is out of the question but for under 20 quid, if a hand catapult will do it, that would pay for itself before mid morning coffee.....

Thoughts...?

I was the same mate.

Buy a cube and invest in some decent throwline, then go out and practise when you're not working and not under pressure. The difference is immense.

60'+ shots by hand will become achievable.

I was the same mate.

Buy a cube and invest in some decent throwline, then go out and practise when you're not working and not under pressure. The difference is immense.

60'+ shots by hand will become achievable.

Any tips? I seem to friction burn my fingers, throw over the tree completely, or get tangled in small branches, esp oak.:confused1:

I was sure you were going to suggest ladders bollam :001_tt2:

It was on the tip of my keyboard mate!

Normandy, a few essentials.

You must have a cube. I find the Stein one fine, although the Faltehmeir (sp?) is better made and lasts longer.

You must have decent throwline like Zing-it or Liros.

You must have decent throw-bags like Harrison Rockets, in different weights for different trees. Light bags are no good on brizzy rough-barked oaks, for instance.

You must practise, the more the better, when not at work (take your climbing kit, you will need it sometimes!)

Check youtube out for throwing tips. I use the cradle method to my RHS, but whatever suits you is best.

Good luck!

As Mark said. Practise practise practise is the only way.

Normandy, you're either getting rope burns because you're not letting go quickly enough, or you've allowed knots to form in the line. It's either abut the ti ing of the letting go, or the stowage of line. Make sure you remove all debris from the line before storage, and "flake" it into your container. You don't need to spend a fortune on a stowage container, Jo Hedger used to use Sweet containers! I use boillie bags for fishing bait personally, sourced at discount fishing stores. Good line and the right weight bags for the job, and have a variety of weights to suit. Preferably have two kits as inevitably one will get stuck at times.

I have been using fishing weights. I have an 8oz one and can easily get 40 ft with it. The round weight works well as it bounces off branches.

And for £1.20 it's a lot cheaper than normal weights so if it get lost I'm not stressing over it.

I did think about a hand catapult but after being able to get it high up by throwing it I don't see the point.