a good friend crushed!!!

vduben

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very sorry to hear about this.

can the path of the fall alter from the tree splitting out? if its a heavy leaner then surely its only going one way? if you are in the correct position when cutting i dont see how a tree can land on you?

Stump "Vduben" take a picture of the stump,it should still be there,from that you can see how deep the face cut its, and at what point the back cut started to split "slab".

This is a public forum Mr Bashford,I made a suggestion of technique that can be employed to minimise the risk of a "barber chair".I did not imply that the use of the technique's I described would have eliminated any hazard totally.

Hope he gets better,post an address for us to send him our best wishes

Stump "Vduben" take a picture of the stump,it should still be there,from that you can see how deep the face cut its, and at what point the back cut started to split "slab".

This is a public forum Mr Bashford,I made a suggestion of technique that can be employed to minimise the risk of a "barber chair".I did not imply that the use of the technique's I described would have eliminated any hazard totally.

Hope he gets better,post an address for us to send him our best wishes

I absolutely agree with and understand

the comments that have been made since my last email.

We all need to learn from experiences good and bad, but we should not be seen to be prejudging the outcome of any case.

Sure it is a public forum and a very good one, but so are newspapers for example and they have to be subject to restraint over assessing who or what might be wrong in any particular case.

I will watch with interest.

Colin

Now not knowing this situation/size of the tree or anything, to those saying that they don't see how a barberchair could do this "how it could happen"? A common mistake inexperienced or improperly trained people make is either trying to save the saw(save yourself f#ck the saw!) or exiting in the wrong direction. Also if there was any breeze around a slight headleaner can become a real barberchair hazard. And of course improper undercut/backcut as has already been discussed. Pictures would be very interesting.

I am in no way trying to comment on the accident that occurred just sharing some thoughts.

glad your friend has insurance coverage, hope he comes back 100%

I hate accident threads. I avoid them as long as I can. At some point I think I should read them so I can avoid others mistakes but I hate hearing about folks' injuries. I think my imagination is too strong or something.

I hope your friend is healing OK and isn't in too much discomfort.

I wouldn't want to have a 260 in my hands while a barber chair was occurring, not enough power.

What is a crack willow? Is that a variety of willow? How does it behave?