Are logs worth doing anymore ?

gensetsteve

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Log customers always complain about something: too big, too small, too long, too short, too wet, too dry, too much oak, too much ash, want to be in when you deliver, tipped in wrong place, don't burn quick enough, burn too quickly, the list goes on...........

A log merchant nr Lugershall said to me 2 years ago and its been repeated a few time on here ' doing the unprofitable for the ungrateful ' :biggrin:

Could you not say the same about cordwood, everyone always looking for the cheapest. Is cordwood worth producing anymore?

IMO, Yes it is. It's at a reasonable price from a cutter's point of view, you'll still neverget richfelling it but it's better than it was.

All those that want it cheap always seem to be the ones who's yard is emptiest.............

I love doing logs, but it is part of the forestry work that i do. I have a good working relationship with a couple of estates, to which i have put in alot of effort over the last five years. This effort is now starting to pay off. Selling a mixture of timber roadside and stockpiling, will if i sell all my split/ stacked logs put me into profit, and a good share to the landowners. All you need is the mighty Nuffield of power and a bit of effort.

If i had to buy in, pay rent, and run a processer, then i would struggle to make any profit.

Keep it Simple

I should be getting a nuffield 4/65 that has a 6 cylinder in it!!

Hopefully that will bring in the winnings!

When you think about it, there is a hell of a lot of work and time involved in turning a standing tree into firewood.

Cut tree, sned branches, get it to roadside, transport it to firewood merchants yard, process it, store it for maybe 18 months, deliver it to customer.

If ALL expenses are taken into account, and everyone along the way gets a fair wage, firewood needs to be dearer than it is, maybe so dear that it becomes a luxury rather than a viable fuel, when compared to other fuels.