550XP... is there a knack to getting them started?

Hoggin

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's definitely a love hate relationship with this saw. When it's going it's superb but when it stops I never know if it will start again.

Ran a couple of tanks of fuel through it on Saturday cutting oak, then it stopped while idling. I expected a quick pull of the cord would have it running again. Nothing. After spending 15-20 minutes trying to restart the thing using every trick in the book, I assumed I must have flooded it so I removed the plug. It was bone dry. It's like there is no fuel getting to the cylinder.

In the end I had to pack up and go home, a quarter of the way through the job. The b£$%^&d thing still won't start today. :cursing:

husky.jpg

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I was flooding it. To rule out any problems with the saw itself, I took it into a dealer. Ian at Spa Engineering in Chesterfield got it running and recommended that the warm start procedure is tried first. He also mentioned that they get easier as they are run in.

That sounds a lot like "go away for a bit, hopefully don't come back"

Can any techie here explain why this might be true?

one thing I forgot to say was I had the next up hotter plug fitted . This was on Husky technical s recommendation for hot starting . .

I've read this a few times now.

I have one of the ones from before it was "out" so an early one and have not had much trouble with it. It refused to start when hot just the once so I got the 346 out instead for a tankfull, after that it (the 550) started again fine?.

This hotter plug, what model/number is it? I've tried to find some info on plugs but I did not get far.

Cheers, Daniel

OK, time to swallow my pride, hand in my man card, and ask for help.

I've got a brand spanking new, if slightly scratched up, 550XP. At the moment it's about as much use as an orange chocolate teapot because it just will not run.

Has anybody got any pearls of wisdom that they would like to share? What could I be doing wrong?

I've followed the starting instructions in the manual to the letter. Fresh pump fuel mixed 50:1 with Husqvarna LS oil. It has obviously been run in the past because the plug shows some signs of use. I replaced it anyway and there is a weak spark. At one point yesterday, it did fire up and run for a couple of minutes but died as soon as I squeezed the throttle (gently) and has refused to restart. I've been trying, on and off, for two days now and am about at the stage where I could punch kittens.

I had one of the first 560xp and it had exactly the same problem took it back to the dealer and spent a couple of hours with him and saw trying to solve problem. In the end it was sent back to Husqvarna and i had a stihl 362. I recently bought another 560 and that starts and runs fine one of the best saws i have used.

Take it back and get it exchanged as its no good to man or beast the way it is it will just frustrate you.

• 1 year later...

Finally got to firing up my new 550xpg today.... Took me ages to get it to start, about 30 pulls! Then it fired, smoked a bit, cleared itself and then attacked some chunky hornbeam (made a load of slithers) for 3 minutes, followed by 2.5ft hornbeam trunk.

Refuelled, tightened chain, then moved on to a windblown (& hung up) Abies Grandis. Zipped through that like butter!

Apart from the initial starting problem, it's been ace; an amazing lightish saw with surprising power. Looking forwards to using the Sugihara 18" blade on it....

:thumbup:

Mine is also a fickle b@57@rd to start! Sometimes no problems... Other times a right pain.. Even pass it round the team to see who else can or can't start it!!! Pretty sure its a fuel issue and the bulb is part of the equation!!!! Don't just keep pulling it will damage your arm!!!

Is your starting problem just from cold?

Will see how mine continues and let you know.... Cheers, Steve