Arthroscopy

David Humphries

Pre meds the best David.. good luck mate

Pre meds?! Not these days. Had left knee arthrosywotsited June '07. Booked in 12 noon, got home for supper. General anaesthetics are brill these days (they don't use chloroform on a rag any more) and almost always no problem. That evening you will feel like you've got a mild hangover - a mild one.

V.IMPORTANT. For the first week after the op do what they tell you; no more and no less. They tell you to weight bear, to bend and to walk normally but for sensible, increasing amounts. Listen to the instruction, read the leaflets. That week of good behaviour will pay long term dividends. Ignore them at your peril because you risk damage by overdoing it, atrophy and muscle shortening by underdoing it.

Further on, if you get pain or loss of movement range ask for physio asap (because of the waiting list, not necessarily the urgency). Private will cost you £60-odd for first appointment and ~2/3 that thereafter. Hence 3 appointments, enough to get most folk going again, will cost ~£150. A day's work - ish.

Arthroscopy is run of the mill in surgical terms: best of luck and it isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Jon

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went for the wayhay camera up the jacksie and they gave me a muscle relaxant.

I could see the tv monitor and was really looking forward to see the camera action. They stuck this stuff in me and the next thing I remember was our lass walking down the ward to pick me up.

Apparently I was fully awake throughout the whole procedure :confused1:

Woh was it good stuff though, totally chilled for ages after.

You finaly going in for your back Op?

Hope you get my order off first :sneaky2:

The old man's gonna be earning his pension then :001_tongue:

Having a discogram so they can tell which and how many discs need removing, then the big one.

Your stuff has already left and will be with you tomorrow

What are the symptoms david, for a few weeks now I have a pain in my left knee when I kneel down, feels like you've knelt on a small marble

Similar to that Dean.

Comes and goes every 2-3 months, lasts for about a week.

Can't believe I was lucky enough to get a weeks skiing in over xmas.

Could live with it, but I really need to up my fitness this year, and feel this will keep getting in the way.

Can lock up completely and makes me limp like quasimodo.

Climbing and clocking up survey miles are out when it's playing up.