Arthroscopy

David Humphries

Having soldiered on with a nagging knee injury for a couple of years, I've bitten the bullet and after an MRI scan showed up a cyst and tear of the posterior horn of the medial miniscus (boy, thats a mouthful) I've decided that this old monkey needs it getting sorted.

Going in next week for the Arhroscopy, no big shakes, but was told today that recovery time could be anything between 2-6 weeks :scared1:

Has anyone else had this done?

I know recovery time is wholey dependant on how much jiggling about the surgeon does, plus how patient a patient I'm willing to be post op.

What 'd like to know is.............is the projected time span realistic, or are the hospital just stating worst case senario?

The prospect of being virtualy housebound for that long is not something I'm particularly relishing.

Also, any ideas as to the best form of physical reabilitation for the knee.

The muscles on me left knee are already a tad atrophied due to the other one having had to double up, taking the strain of an everso slowy expanding waisteline :blushing: Well I am nearly 40 :sneaky2:

At least the SWL on Nelly is 150 kg

Guess they should probably just take me round the back and shoot me really, save the NHS a load of cash and save you poor souls from having to listen to me whinging on about it :001_tongue:

Cheers

Woe is Monkeyd

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave

don't worry about it I had the exact same done in 1999. The original diagnosis was I had damaged my ACL and went through the physio, MRI and eventually the arthroscopy. to evaluate the extent of the damage to the ACL. They found the ACL damage to be negligible but noticed the tear on the Medial Meniscus on left knee. I woke up post op, asked for a bit of morphine... it was free afterall! and was home that afternoon.

I think the rehab time is largely dependant on other factors as you mentioned. i.e. how much they delve around, the extent of the damage and how much is removed. I was told to keep working the leg and to put weight on it and not to shield the leg from all activities. As this can lead to further atrophy of the muscle groups around the joint. I wasn't in the Arb game back then but had around 2 weeks off as I had the opportunity to work from home. However, I have heard others being back up and around sooner.

I have had no problems to date, have done 3 full seasons snowboarding, plus a lot of other weeks on snow, surfing, running and continued in other activites including work without any issues.

Good luck and enjoy the medication.:sneaky2:

Edited by Rich Rule

Picked up a nasty footie injury 15years ago and resulted in a arthroscopy of the left knee, medial ligament, patial removal of catilidge and a couple of nice scars to boot. I found the recovery for this pretty speedy really, nowadays I don't think you even need to go into plaster as I did

All was good up to about 7ish years ago then had another twinge so had an MRI and was told that I'd buggered the cruciate ligament up aswell...........happy days. My knee is quite unstable now but liveable with. A physio once told me that if you can function well for the majority of the time with maybe only 2-3 episodes (flare ups) per year, why go for the op? It's amazing how careful you can be, and after time it just becomes natural. Sometimes when jumping off the back of the truck it twangs, swells up hurts like hell for a week or so then slowly tails off. I've taken that advice, as like you the recovery time for this op is 2-3months (for our physical job) scares the pants off me. Both financially and mentally!!! But I feel that the op for me to have the re-build is inevitable. Who wants to take a perfect body to the grave anyway??????? Let me know how you get on old chap?

i had a tear in the miniscus stitched up a few years ago, which is quite unusual, apparently they normally just slice off the damaged bit. The knee was immobilised and non weight bearing for 3 months, so i was on crutches for that period.

If they had just removed the damaged cartilage, I would have been walking again same day, in fact they encourage it as part of the recovery programme.

Best of luck with the surgery.