Lone working and Forestry Commission

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry no help from here. As far as I know FC will not, under any circumstances, accept lone working with chainsaw, no matter what safety systems you have in place and what 1st Aid certs you have. Doesn't matter whether you're employed by them, working as a contractor, sub-contractor, as a volunteer or anything else. If you're on their ground and want to use a saw you need NPTC's, PLI and at least two of you (second person does not have to be a saw operator, so long as they are there). All machine operators need to be FMOC'd. No exceptions, no relaxations, no nothing, right or wrong that's the way it is.

Really sorry to hear that its putting a small rural enterprise out of business, but I'm not surprised that you're in this situation. Despite all the promises of supporting local enterprise etc, the FC will almost always fall back on a rigid set of rules which are much easier adhered to by the big players than the local small guy. :banghead:

Take your wife, take someone who's retired in the local village and looking for something to fill the time. So long as they're on site and capable of dialing 999 and communicating with the emergency services they will

do!

(From 'A wife'!) I got all NPTC's ie CS 31/32/38/39 etc and go out and do the FC contracts involving chainsaw work, with my husband, has been a great experience and means we get work on our doorstep as we live in Kielder Forest. He had often worked alone for many years, but I think out here where there is not even a mobile signal or another human within miles it is a good idea!

Edited by StephF
correction

• 3 weeks later...