Dealing with damage...

Andrew Barrett

If they are just not taking care because its not there job . Nip it in the bud rapid otherwise it will just get worse . I had a problem like this not to many years ago . When I did all my own climbing and just subbed in groundies . One guy in particular had a bad habit of tying on my 020 with a magic knot that would magically undo itself halfway up the tree . This then would cost me a small fortune in parts . He also would not listen to what you would tell him ie watch that shrub and move that statue before we start lowering stuff . He was good with the customer's but had no respect for any property other than his own .

The last time he broke my saw , I came down from the tree and took his 026 off him packed up all the tools went back to the yard and then proceeded to land two crisp punches to his head . I did not pay him and kept his saw . I regret what I did that day but this frustration had built up over a considerable amount of time . Due to his total lack of respect . I now recognize the signs of stress and I'm happy with all the guys I work for and with :001_smile:

The guy sounds like a clown who you should have stopped using long before this incident, but to resort the assault and theft is outrages!!!:thumbdown:

What gives you the right to treat someone like that??

OK you can't undo the assault, but you should certainly give him his saw back, pay him his wage and apologise, IMO.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a self employed climber/groundie its my reputation and work getting judged if things go wrong. For example, taking down a small syc the other day i missed a small peg on the main stem. Dropped it and the peg chipped a paving stone in the customers garden. Didnt notice at first until the boss pointed it out. I felt really bad and was fully prepared to pay for damages as it was my fault and no reflection on the boss and his company. In my honest opinion if something gets broken or damaged, own up to it. If it was a genuine accident people appreciate honesty and you are more likely to get work from them again.

Yup -mee too, If I busted a panel , or a roof tile -Id fix it , end of Kx

The guy sounds like a clown who you should have stopped using long before this incident, but to resort the assault and theft is outrages!!!:thumbdown:

What gives you the right to treat someone like that??

OK you can't undo the assault, but you should certainly give him his saw back, pay him his wage and apologise, IMO.

To be fair Huck it was totally out of character for me . I regret I ever did it . To cut a long story short I gave this lad many a chance . Only to have it chucked back in my face time and time again . I only recently found out the reason why he was such a dreamer . He hated work not tree work any work and his father told him that if he lost this job he'd be out of the family home . The father was not happy to have him sitting at home and paying no lodgings . I really think that this lad would of left before this incident if it was not for his father demanding some sort of lodgings . I can't turn back time and I have learnt from this mistake . I still speak to this person and we now laugh about this incident . He does not work and generally is a waster . The guy is very aggressive at times which is why I decided to hit him as I thought he was about to hit me . Turns out he was all mouth . Theres more to this story ? Maybe I should of made it clearer at the time of posting . Hope this meets with your approval biggrin: I'm keeping the saw .

Man the way done people are going on you would think they never had an accident. Accident's happen we're only human!

Lol, an accident is something that happens, and most of us are not unreasonable to that end. If all due care is taken, yet something still get broken then fair dos. But if it's down to negligence, stupidity or a fit of rage and damage occurs, then it is unreasonable and totally unnecessary. It's more about what is generally acceptable, when the cost is to the employer it can get to the point of exasperation when damage repeatedly occurs. If I took a risk on a climber who was just starting out, and things got broken in the course of the day, I'd make the excuse at he still had a lot to learn. If a chaps been climbing 15years, is highly skilled and wants top dollar, then breakages are not so acceptable.