Experiences and techniques of using screw type log splitters.

Woodworks

"killing the engine easily accessible."

This is something I have not solved.

If the tractor has a pull stop get some string tie around pull stop feed out back window dangle above wear your head is and pull if necessary.

This was how the one I used was sold from new that was a while ago mind.

I have a screw type splitter with its own engine and the whole thing is road towable . It is good on easy sdplitting stuff , syc, ash etc and is way faster than my hydraulic splitter. I find its best on large rings and as stated just push the ring on to the tip and let it do the rest . If uyou feel you have to hep/guide it make sure you keep your right hand out of the way . If it flipps the ring your left hand will just get lifted away but your could get a wallop . This is assuming it rotates clock wise when facing the cone .

My neighbour has hy-crack splitter he was splitting oak and he turned the piece he was splitting and had his thump in the split when it closed up the problem was it just kept hold of the log and didn't split it and he could not stop the tractor which was a Ford 7600 all he could do was shout for help. When I heard him went to look and pull the stop on engine and the started getting him out, so set up a stop.

I used it to split Eucalyptus once it would wined the odd lump on and nothing would happen and the it would shoot off the screw point towards me if I didn't stand back. Dangers machine to use I use a hydraulic splitter know.

My neighbour has hy-crack splitter he was splitting oak and he turned the piece he was splitting and had his thump in the split when it closed up the problem was it just kept hold of the log and didn't split it and he could not stop the tractor which was a Ford 7600 all he could do was shout for help. When I heard him went to look and pull the stop on engine and the started getting him out, so set up a stop.

I used it to split Eucalyptus once it would wined the odd lump on and nothing would happen and the it would shoot off the screw point towards me if I didn't stand back. Dangers machine to use I use a hydraulic splitter know.

Yes I have done that once :blushing: Fortunately my wife was nearby to sort things out.

I had some 4 year old rings that just shattered when touched by the screw that the hydraulic splitter wouldn't touch other than put a mark in the wood. So as others have said seasoned rings are the best for a screw so I leave mine for one or preferably 2 years before splitting.

On the safety aspect I have never had any issues which is good as I never set up the PTO cut off pull. Just pushing the ring onto the srew is fine and if it goes to flip stand back and let it go.

I always load the rings from a pallet raised to the deck height to avoid back strain which on up to 40kg chunks of wood could be easily caused.