Lance Armstrong

born2trot

From the Guardian today

In the autumn of 1993, Greg LeMond and his wife, Kathy, were sitting at home in the suburbs of Minneapolis, when they received a visit from Linda Mooneyham, the three-times Tour de France winner has recalled. Her 21-year-old son, Lance Armstrong, had just become the world champion and she had travelled from her home in Texas for advice.

"What does he do now?" she asked. "What does he do with his money?"

"Well, let him find an agent – a good one with an attorney," LeMond replied. "And one word of advice – just be his mom."

They sat on the porch for a while and then moved inside to the kitchen. Linda had something else on her mind: "How do I make him less of an asshole. He doesn't care about anyone."

"Well," LeMond replied. "I can't help you there."

Sad to say that was the impression I got from the bits of interview I have seen, he did not seem in the least bit sorry, just appeared annoyed he'd been caught :thumbdown:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a cheat and his defence is "the other kids were doing it as well"

For me the worst of it is the hypocrisy of litigating against those who said LANCE ARMSTRONG IS A DRUG CHEAT means he is a DRUG CHEAT that’s also a LYAR and HYPOCRITE who kept genuine sportsmen off the podium.

The fact is that he had to sue to perpetuate his on-going cheating, his entire existence became one big lie.

Regardless of the methodology used, and I would suspect that most of Lance's serious competitors were skating on the same thin ice.

Lance was/is simply an exceptional individual.

OK to put yourself through the pain and grind (despite the drugs) to win once.

But to repeat 6 more times, takes an unusual mental attitude, to say the least.

A driven individual, who would have been seriously competitive without the questionable medical regime.

Being personable is not necessary to win, fairly or otherwise.

And btw I thoroughly enjoyed watching Bradley Wiggins win as well, who appears to be much more personable, but must be somewhat tough beneath the surface veneer, or he would get tramped/cycled over .

I dont cycle but enjoyed Lance's book "Its not about the bike" simply because the title was so apt.

Cheers

Marcus