chipper dust on cars

likeitorlumpit

Reminds me of a job a short while ago when the neighbour came out and stood under the tree just as we started to lower a limb, didn't see the girl due to the fence. I nearly had a heart attack when I heard her moaning about all the white stuff on her lawn....

Thats the thing with this job- you've got to be switched on and stay switched on all day even when you're knackered. Switch off and something goes wrong.

The dust on the car is just one small thing in a long line of potential problems. Usually starts with loading up the right kit- now to include dust sheets!!!:biggrin:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the thing with this job- you've got to be switched on and stay switched on all day even when you're knackered. Switch off and something goes wrong.

The dust on the car is just one small thing in a long line of potential problems. Usually starts with loading up the right kit- now to include dust sheets!!!:biggrin:

Well the problem was a 6 foot fence and a 5 foot old women. We would just see these pair of hands then top of head pop over fence. She was one of those people who don't trust any contractor. She came round to take the details off the van for her records.....

She moand about the sawdust, the noise. Everything she could she did.

Now I don't blame people for not trusting contractors if they have been burnt in the past but to come into an exclusion zone without any warning like she did she was going to get hurt....

Anyway back to op, maybe diverse into car valeting. :lol:

Are you sending other people out or doing it yourself, there's a big difference in the management / liability issues. If you are sending out someone else then you are gonna get these costs.

Sorry Albedo- I'm usually sending others out but sometimes I'm on site- whats the difference?

I guess the question is. Would the compensation outweigh the saving not using sheets /time spent finding owners. That would be the business equation.

If thats the case then I would be best to just carry on paying compensation. I'd rather personally though avoid the problem.

I favour the dust sheet solution. Great Arbtalk management solution.

I hope

I,d never heared of anyone paying compensation regarding dust before you mentioned it mate:confused1: I was involved with street trees for 5 years in central London and dealt with Cars under trees...Parking suspensions,debris in public spaces,noise issues etc..etc..Every situation can be solved using diplomacy,organisation most of all communication..Clean dust covers specifically used for vehicle coverage will solve the dust problem i can assure you:thumbup1: When the job is finnished shake them well...wash if needed..a small thing when you consider the alternative...Take control of the site and there should be no problems:001_smile:

Sorry Albedo- I'm usually sending others out but sometimes I'm on site- whats the difference?

I guess the question is. Would the compensation outweigh the saving not using sheets /time spent finding owners. That would be the business equation.

If thats the case then I would be best to just carry on paying compensation. I'd rather personally though avoid the problem.

I favour the dust sheet solution. Great Arbtalk management solution.

I hope

The difference is mate that you are a lot more careful if you know you've got to pay for it yourself, like me over a roof the other day slinging every bit rather than hand holding, and having the luxury of having the time to do so.

Your issues are to do with not being on site yourself.

As far as I know there is no solution to this unless someone like Tony works for you, and even then....rare as rocking horse...

one ANSWER FECK OFF:lol:

lovin the diplomacy:001_smile:

the problem is the housing associations- if we don't satisfy the clients than an e mail complaint is sent off and that goes through the whole corporate structure. Thats the way they roll. Their clients= tennants are too well aware of this too.

I guess I'm not there so am not able to diffuse the issue. I need to get my tree team leader to get diplomatic.

No. I'm going to get this sorted for once and all. Dust sheets and supervisor responsibility. Heres hoping this one is finally put to bed. I think I've been soft. Silky - you've worked in central London with no real issues. That says it all.

one ANSWER FECK OFF:lol:

I just read in another thread you mentioned having fires is not professional, yet this is?

I think we shoukd be more proactive if we wush to be taken seriously in this job. Builders now have a site pretty much enclosed to cause a minimum of nuisance, buildings are scaffolded over and plastic wrapped to prevent dust and falling objects going outside their area. Of course that is OTT for tree work, but prevention is surely better than cure. I like the dust sheet idea too, no different to pulling a vast net across Borders to save handpicking hedge trimming out of shrubs at the end of the day. I know we aren't going to stop everything eating out, but reduction of dust travel saves time for us too.