Japa saw blade nut hell

baz

I posted a thread earlier about getting my saw blade sharpened for my Japa 700. I'm still very much at stage one, nut won't budge and I am trying to turn it clockwise. I've had a bar extention on the ratchet and lifted the machine (I wasn't aware I was that strong) but its not budging. Got myself a 75 inch lever bar on order now figuring I'll either lift the machine on its side or get the better of the nut. Only support from the retailer Fuelwood was to say grind the old nut off and we will sell me a new one for £11 (great help and they are £7.50 a pair on Ebay).

Anyway, assuming I do get the locking nut off is the retaining nut going to be any easier to budge or am in in for fun and games twice over? I can't figure why they are put on so tight at the factory as this will be the first attempt to get it off. My worst nightmare will be to have to grind off the locking nut and then not being able to budge the retaining nut as there is no room to grind that as well. Nightmare.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Otherwise a hardly used Zapa 700 for sale just needs a blade sharpen.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

give it a good soak in wd forty ( other oil avalible ) only turn 1 nut at a time and not both together , get a cold chisel and place on the edge of one of the corners make sure there is no rotation and give a few good taps in the undo direction to loosen the rust it should budge , when you replace nut grease them threads. the rear nut should be just tight , a good pair of stilsons and a scaffold pole moves most things, good luck

Edited by Big Bolt

The thread is LEFT HAND, ie it undoes in a clockwise direction. Hold the blade somehow and take the outer nut off first. I used an adjustable spanner with a 6 foot steel tube on the end, then take the inner nut off. While you have the blade off grease that bearing on the blade end of the drive shaft, as you know its a nightmare to get at otherwise.

A

This is what local Jappa distributor said to me, (just fitted a sharpened blade the other day, its a left hand thread which you know

" the nut can get a bit tight, use a spanner socket, tap with a hammer to shock it, and it should come loose",

sounds like thats what others have said, but these guys are supposed to be trained Jappa mechanics, so I just added it to everyone elses advice! Hope you've got it sorted by now anyway,

This is not easy at all. Two of us, one with a 3 foot lever and the other standing on the linkage points to hold it down finally got the locking nut off after a lot of grunting and swearing from my mate on the lever. The retaining nut is tighter if anything. Maybe getting the locking nut off finally wore us out but this one isn't cooperating.

It looks like the retaining nut is attached to the retaining plate. Is it or is that just the paint making it look like that? I'm not sure if I'm expecting (more hoping) just the nut to move or the whole nut and backing plate.

We gave up after an hour so left it with another good soak of penetrating oil. This is a bitch though.

Anyone thinking of buying a new processor with a circular blade should ask for the blade to be removed and refitted on delivery. What I'm going through is crazy and its something I'll spec in on my next machine.