Proposal to increase tax rate?

Pedroski

It seems the Government puts out these little snippets occasionally to see what sort of response it gets. If they then realise they will lose millions of votes as a result they just 'demonstrate flexibility' by not implementing it. The opposition use the term U turn.

I think it's a pity that the Govts (past and present) treat us all like little kids.

Since Thatcherism evolved they have reduced taxes to give us more spending power and have the CHOICE of how to spend our money.

That's great if you have enough to send your kids for the private education of your choice or join the private healthcare scheme of your choice - but if you can afford neither then your kids go to the nearest state school and you wait for your traetment at the end of a long NHS queue!

I'm not a commie, but I'm not a chinless tory who advocates prudent spending by the masses while claiming thousands on expenses for flock wallpaper and duck houses.

I just wish a British Govenrnment wouyld have the gonads to give us masses the option -

Pay more tax to get better healthcare and education or

Pay less tax and sort out your own healthcare/kids education etc.

This 'Me first I'm well off' Tory approach does make sense for those who are doing well - but if you fall off the gravy train - God help you.

It is perpetuated by peoples belief that they are going to make it big, remember those teenage dreams we all had.

Share it fairly but dont take a slice of my pie! (Pink Floyd)

I hate to say it, but we (the nation) voted them in.

Yep, that goes for every gpvernment I guess, but I get your point. "We" as a nation vote them in, but sometimes I feel whatever party gets "in" they are immediately shot down, accused of allsorts, ans sometimes distracted from the job. Perhaps a case of in a perfect world, but wouldn't it be nice, if once they are voted in, they are fully supported. Then after their term "we" can vote again! Would be especially helpful given the current climate instead of wasting time bickering.

I just used toe term recession for ease....but yes what you say is right IMO

Wasn't meaning you in particular Steve, its just been hammered down our throats (I actually blame the media for a lot of the worry and caution spread accross the country, but that's another one!) for so long now but in fact the recession is over now as things have been stable for a while now. Guess its turned into a term people are using to describe the new harder times.

In reality we should just accept its the new "norm".

I hate to say it, but we (the nation) voted them in.

No we didn't. They only gained a parliamentary majority by entering into a coalition with the Liberals, who frankly are meant to be the antithesis to the Tories.

This is why the political landscape is so depressing in the UK. There is no choice. Whether you vote for Tories, Labour or the Liberals, you are effectively going to get the same politics.