Hitch climber

Pltreesurgery

I see what you mean.

With the hitch climber setup I just pull the rope above the hitch as far as I need to go. Hold on, and then pull through the slack with the other hand and dress knot if needed.

Or if you have it set up perfect the slack will self tend due to the weight of the rope itself.

Or add an extension to your bridge,like a prussik loop so your under the hitch and no need to tend slack.Once you've ascended to where you want to be remove the prussik and the hitch is at belly height again..can be done with a zigzag aswell

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im using Cougar 11.7mm rope.I used to climb just classic Blakes set up -two hands pull,then one hand slide the hitch up.To avoid that Im fiddling with micro pulley now.Thats all. I really like the VT the only problem is no enough room under hitch for pull on rope.

I tried that set up from drawing today.Instead to attach live rope in to my harness I did extend it and bring rope end back up to the VT so I have room to pull the rope under the hitch.It does works perfect but would like to hear your opinion if its ok and safe.Also if it is ok to use with VT micropulley instead of hitch climber pulley.

2ptt25u.png

Yeah thats the o rig set up i think,ive only ever used the hitch climber which is similar,i used the distel,michocan and VT for my hitch climber setup.

I found the VT to be a bit fiddley and needed a bit of tending now and then the other two hitches worked perfect.I only changed hitches when i used other hitch cords.

Its up to you to find which system suits your climbing style,play around with hitches and pulleys to see whats your preference.

I agree with finding what works for you but....

personally can't see why you need the hitch to be higher.

If you want to advance just pull the rope that is under the pulley (any pulley is fine) and the hitch will be tended by the pulley.

The lower the hitch is the more rope pulled through in one go (length of your arm) you get?

Sorry if I'm not getting it

I agree with finding what works for you but....

personally can't see why you need the hitch to be higher.

If you want to advance just pull the rope that is under the pulley (any pulley is fine) and the hitch will be tended by the pulley.

The lower the hitch is the more rope pulled through in one go (length of your arm) you get?

Sorry if I'm not getting it

Simply put its about tending slack really,if you have your hitch at waist or stomach height,you pull the rope to ascend meaning you have to pull the slack through the pulley as you hold the rope one handed,when the hitch is above you you dont have to tend slack as your pulling the slack through as you ascend.

All this can be avoided by using a pantin or askin your groundie to pull the slack for you,but not everyone has groundies or pantins so its just another option

All the time mate.On descent I just pull hitch knot towards the body and holding with one hands so its lose and with other hands controlling the rope through the 8figure descender.It feel much smoother that way and avoiding the burn on hitch cord.

I think your problem is you're use to the way you work and tend the Prussik and now you're using the hitch climber ,they're not the same , you're use to pulling down on the Prussik and sliding the hitch up and that won't work with the hitch climber if you want to use the Hc you're just going to have to change the way you tend it