Hitch climber

Pltreesurgery

It's quite normal with a vt/distel to have to physically set the knot for it to grip when you want to just sit back into it.

Did I see someone mention on here a while back that you should use 8mm prussik cord on small diameter ropes and 10mm on 13mm rope? Not meaning to hijack the thread but it is kind of linked and its too small a topic really to create a new post. I use 8mm beeline on 13mm xtc so would just be interested to know really.

You can use any diameter hitch cord as long as it has a smaller diameter that the its host (the climbing line) but these 2 variables will effect how the system operates.

10mm hitch cord on 11mm host will work but not as nice, and smooth as 8mm on 13mm host, for example.

It also depends on the make of hitch cord. Different stuff takes longer to bed in but usually tying a knot differently will cure this to a degree.

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry folks! I know there must be a million posts on here regarding hitch climber set ups!

Newish to the forum and just purchased a hc setup , oval krabs, 10 mill ocean polyester and dmm pulley on 13mm climbing rope

Tried it today but having difficulty getting the hitch to grip tried distel and vt ,

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul, hitch climber will get better in time, you may find that you are mistrusting of the system (which I was at the start), which may be causing most your problems. I personally found distel good at start as feels lot like prussik. But when you move on to VT and remember to check dressing then you'll never go back.

I have a small question on the hitch climber. Bear with me on this as it may sound dumb but I'm wanting to know.

When I first saw the set up it was at jonsies show. It showed the bottom carab joined to the eye end of the rope. And the top carab joined accross to the rope. However on a few vids I've seen the bottom carab is joind to nothing, and the top carab is joined to the eye end of rope.

If this makes sence to anyone I'm interested to know if this is right. I've been using it so the pulley is not load supporting but only there to move the prussik up the line.

I've got the eye end through my harness and onto the bottom carab so I can adjust the hight of the hc so when climbing I can move it away from me and when decending I can move it clos to me.