In Desperate times...My Silky saves the day!

silky fox

Brilliant silky:thumbup1: I wonder that it's like inside it!? It's amazing the sense of awe you can get from majestic trees like that. I went to see the 2000 year old Yew at Darley Abbey, it left me speechless and with an amazing sense of calm, truly magnificent!!

I've posted this tree on a yew thread recently but it is my favourite Tree i have ever seen..the Llangenyw Yew....5,000 years old..found a picture of it in a book,looked up the post code for the village in Wales,put it into the Sat nav and drove straight there...Arrived a few hours later at this tiny village of white washed houses..walked the short distance to a church and walked through the gate. In front of me was this enourmous Green Mass! Surely this was the canopy of more than one tree?...it wasn't,it was the Yew...it's hollow centre long gone once contained a large metal container but was removed when the significance of the tree was realised..it has a plaque next to it declaring it to be one of Britains 50 foremost trees. And a sign suggesting it is one of the oldest living things in Europe. It is in great health and i carefuly climbed it in my bare feet:rolleyes:sitting within it's boughs felt magical and i sat there for about an hour to get my head round the fact that this tree had been in this spot for such a Very,very long time and imagined what amazing things had taken place around it.As i was about to leave i noticed a dead hanger about 4 feet long..i have it here with me..it looks like something out of the hobbit that Gandalf might carry. Instead of the colour of the heartwood being the typical brown/red colour it is a pale pink.it is obviously an ancient srick abd i would like to have it carbon dated...may ask at Kew if it's possible. Shall take some pictures of it now:)

uploadfromtaptalk1325379223527.jpg.5269221095d696aa31f019109bce599c.jpg

I've posted this tree on a yew thread recently but it is my favourite Tree i have ever seen..the Llangenyw Yew....5,000 years old..found a picture of it in a book,looked up the post code for the village in Wales,put it into the Sat nav and drove straight there...Arrived a few hours later at this tiny village of white washed houses..walked the short distance to a church and walked through the gate. In front of me was this enourmous Green Mass! Surely this was the canopy of more than one tree?...it wasn't,it was the Yew...it's hollow centre long gone once contained a large metal container but was removed when the significance of the tree was realised..it has a plaque next to it declaring it to be one of Britains 50 foremost trees. And a sign suggesting it is one of the oldest living things in Europe. It is in great health and i carefuly climbed it in my bare feet:rolleyes:sitting within it's boughs felt magical and i sat there for about an hour to get my head round the fact that this tree had been in this spot for such a Very,very long time and imagined what amazing things had taken place around it.As i was about to leave i noticed a dead hanger about 4 feet long..i have it here with me..it looks like something out of the hobbit that Gandalf might carry. Instead of the colour of the heartwood being the typical brown/red colour it is a pale pink.it is obviously an ancient srick abd i would like to have it carbon dated...may ask at Kew if it's possible. Shall take some pictures of it now:)

HI PAUL nice pics there mate :thumbup1::thumbup1:jon

I used to live in Llangernyw! When were you there?