10 long years

Stephen Blair

Golly College 84-87, so 21/22 years ago. Seen a lot of changes along the way, not least in equipment. I remember multiplat rope being revolutionary. When i trained, you didn't have to wear a helmet unless you were actually cutting. I worked for a London borough in the 80's and there was zero paperwork and insignificant Health and safety. This could so easily turn into the 4 Yorkshire men sketch. I also had an XR2 90-91.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And while we're reminiscing anyone ever had bolloc*$!* for felling too high?

You got the bottom cut of the face at ground level. I was always told 'a foot at the bottom's a yard at the top:001_smile:

yep by mad axe men still dreaming off xcuts ,use get some right f:scared1::scared1:kings collage teaching 1,way old school teaching another:confused1::001 enough to drive a man to drink ?

yep by mad axe men still dreaming off xcuts ,use get some right f:scared1::scared1:kings collage teaching 1,way old school teaching another:confused1::001 enough to drive a man to drink ?

yeah, but those old boys were a pleasure to work with and a mine of knowledge.I started in 73 no a.v lightnings and danarms were commonplace. I, as you well know, knowmost of those mad axemen you are referring to, and they would turn in their graves at some of the work thats been turned out now .. Top fallers then on 100- 150 per week -- if they made more they got their piecerate cut-- a well payed job then.Everything was hand burnt, stumps 2 inch below ground level and every last twig to be burnt or you didnt get your money.

The most noticeable thing between then and now is that they didnt make a big issue out of things it was more a way of life and the things nowadays that become major because of health and safety were just part of the job then and guys just got on and did it without any fuss.

The downturn in safety statistics really came after the storm in 87 when ,attracted by potential earnings ,we saw an influx of a new breed of cutters , most of who would never be any good as long as they had holes in their bums.

I first started in 82 after getting the boot from the RAF Regiment. Sold my Cortina in 94 to fund my first Transit. I placed an add in the yellow pages, bought a McCulloch, swapped a tent for a rock climbing harness, made some prussik slings out of window sash cord and my mate Keven Watt (Wattie) from here, gave me a multiplait rope. He also gave me a fair bit of work to get me started, cheers Kev I,ll always remember how you helped me out.:thumbup:

I dismantled my first tree in 1993, with a bowsaw and a big ladder. Did some training and got some nptcs a few years later.

After a few wilderness years I got into full time tree work with an LA. Got fed up with that and went to work for a AA Approved contractor.Got fed up with that and went self employed just over a year ago. Never enjoyed work more!

Gees the 87 Storm, I was 10. Lived in Hampshire and woke upto carnage.

School was closed for 2 weeks and I spent that 2 weeks working with my Dad pulling enormous trees out of the Basingstoke Canal. I was the one driving the excavator :)

I had such a brilliant childhood working in the woods with my old man. Gave me the skills I take for granted today. I loaded a long reach Hymach over the side of a low loader at 15 lol We had Danarms but the best was a little light weight echo which was a revoloution.