90s disco

RobRainford

The last disco I bought to run was half a grand of MOT failure, I replaced an o ring on the injector pump and did half a days welding then drove it for over 2 years before breaking it and selling the engine for half a grand.

Thats where you should be looking rather than buying a heap on the point of turning into a rot box

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem is rob, is that you fancy a disco, this ones popped up and seems affordable albeit with a bit of work needed

i made the a mistake a few years back on a chipper, i was to keen, and really wanted it and it cost me 2k which i never got back. now this situation isnt identical but i wanted that chipper as much as you fancy that disco

save the cash or put it towards a chipper

Rob, ignore all the comments on what to pay for this truck... and here's why.

300 shape Discos have shot up in value in the last 18 months, so unless anyone has bought one in the last couple of months they're going to be vastly underestimating the value of the car.

This is because they're cheap to fix and good ones [which this one is] are few and far between.

If the mileage is genuine then it's highly unlikely that you will find another one that low any time soon. The rot in the boot floor is very minor, mine is worse and that flew through it's recent MOT with no advisories. I just wire brushed it down last week, Kurusted it and painted it over with silver primer. It will need doing eventually but not for a while.

The rot in the outer arches is also nothing spectacular. My boss just bought one which compared to this is rotten as a pear, has a months MOT left and is nowhere near as tidy for £750, which we think is a bargain.

The bits to repair the arches and sills are cheap, they're nice to work on, nice to drive and if I was you I'd take my £1700 quid down there, buy the bloody thing and be perfectly satisified that I'd done exactly the right thing and got a good deal.

I paid £900 for mine [albeit a V8] with 6 months tax & a year's MOT, but that was nearly 3 years ago, I'd get pushing for double that now. With the hard winters and regular flooding, these 300 Discoveries have become incredibly popular with people looking for a decent but inexpensive family car which will shrug off all these recent weather patterns.

You've got a lot more competition now and the dealer is absolutely right, someone will pay £2k for it.

You've already decided it's the right car and I'm inclined to agree completely... get in there....

• 1 month later...

Ask yourself this, do you want it or do you NEED it now? If you need it buy it do the work and accept the fact you are buying a old car and it will need work doing either by you which is cheap but you lose your weekends or you blag/pay mates to do the work and you spend all your weekends working to pay for the ongoing repairs.

If you dont need it then sure look around and eventually you will get a minter at a good price but coming up to winter there going up in price again.

This is coming from a Lada Niva owner of a few years!!

I fear this comment may be too late but here we go anyway.

Did I read somewhere that the rear engine (I assume crank) oil seal needs replacing.

If so yo have to remove the engine or gearbox to replace it.

On the disco the bolts on the bellhousing are hard to get at so its considered easier to remove the engine/gearbox in one unit.

If the rear oil seal is left it will soak the clutch friction plate and that too will need replacing.

I love landies but, based on what youve said here I wouldn't pay more than scrap value for it. Like others have said look on ebay for what they acually sell for.