Re-trained hard worker Vs Youth

MWArb

I have recently tried to employ under 25's and cannot get insurance for them to drive the trucks.

This for me makes them un-employable!

Frustrating as I have some good guys I can't use!!

Understandably annoying for you Tony... will pm you, perhaps I can be useful to you.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And older person might need to learn the job,but at least they will know how to work.

Many youngsters are hard workers,however many more need to adjust their attitude to work.

To answer your question,what would make your more attractive would be your pre 97 licence,your maturity and the fact that you took it upon your own back to retrain.

And older person might need to learn the job,but at least they will know how to work.

Many youngsters are hard workers,however many more need to adjust their attitude to work.

To answer your question,what would make your more attractive would be your pre 97 licence,your maturity and the fact that you took it upon your own back to retrain.

Ace, this again is what I was hoping.. although my driving licence is 2001 because I started driving late lol... nice to hear that hard work and determination can still count for something in a world of quick fix and quick buck.

Yep I work with a 20yo lad and his attitude really winds me up, we work in quite a relaxed place and yet he still doesn't pull his weight, I keep telling him if he gets a job anywhere else he'll be screwed because he just can't hack graft. A compulsory couple of years in the army after school would do things a world of good I think.

Yep I work with a 20yo lad and his attitude really winds me up, we work in quite a relaxed place and yet he still doesn't pull his weight, I keep telling him if he gets a job anywhere else he'll be screwed because he just can't hack graft. A compulsory couple of years in the army after school would do things a world of good I think.

I'm not a military man myself but my son has started at army cadets in a nearby village and I have to say It's improving all of his social skills and work ethic.

I won't employ anyone that the guys think is an arse. They are the ones who know and find out much quicker than me. They have had to put up with one or two in the last couple of years and hopefully that is behind us.

The newest guy we have is a professional child minder. He has a lot to learn. He has, however, got the right attitude and a desire to learn.

Age shouldn't be a concern as far as driving vehicles goes. Get a decent broker and he'll get you a good fleet policy. There are fewer guys around now with pre-97 licences who're willing to graft at the levels required for modern arboriculture so one might as well train a good guy to drive for you.

And before anyone starts bleating about training people and them going to work for the competition. If you pick them right and treat them right you should retain them.

I won't employ anyone that the guys think is an arse. They are the ones who know and find out much quicker than me. They have had to put up with one or two in the last couple of years and hopefully that is behind us.

The newest guy we have is a professional child minder. He has a lot to learn. He has, however, got the right attitude and a desire to learn.

Age shouldn't be a concern as far as driving vehicles goes. Get a decent broker and he'll get you a good fleet policy. There are fewer guys around now with pre-97 licences who're willing to graft at the levels required for modern arboriculture so one might as well train a good guy to drive for you.

And before anyone starts bleating about training people and them going to work for the competition. If you pick them right and treat them right you should retain them.

alas my licence is post 97 by 4 years however I have to agree with retaining staff... if someone puts faith in me and gives me the chance to get good money for hard work I'd stay as long as they wanted me.. good, loyal employers are getting as rare as good workers in my opinion these days. maybe it's the cynic in me but several times in the building business employers drop employees as soon as they've served they're purpose.. not saying Arb's are the same.

Attitude, aptitude & ability (physical & mental). Age is not an issue all other things being equal. HOWEVER being young & dumb or older with the "I'm above that.." attitude automatically would exclude you

Learn to walk the walk then talk enough about it to get you the job

Any line of business is the same, MW. One has to look at the business model being used not the industry, and the culture of the business from the MD to the newest, rawest recruit.

It doesn't always work as in tough times the business comes before all else.

Having said that, directors do have a fundamental duty, having employed a person, to provide them with meaningful work. Many people who become directors are ignorant of their duties and responsibilities as laid out by Companies House, or they ignore them. In my view, not enough company owners and directors are brought to book for malpractice. The tools are available for employees to do this.

Having worked as hard as I have to develop my team, when times get a bit tough, I work harder to ensure I generate enough work to keep hold of them.

Any line of business is the same, MW. One has to look at the business model being used not the industry, and the culture of the business from the MD to the newest, rawest recruit.

It doesn't always work as in tough times the business comes before all else.

Having said that, directors do have a fundamental duty, having employed a person, to provide them with meaningful work. Many people who become directors are ignorant of their duties and responsibilities as laid out by Companies House, or they ignore them. In my view, not enough company owners and directors are brought to book for malpractice. The tools are available for employees to do this.

Having worked as hard as I have to develop my team, when times get a bit tough, I work harder to ensure I generate enough work to keep hold of them.

You are a revelation compared with my last profession... I have to say that from the responses I've had so far (and conversations in other threads) all the guy's on here have strong work ethics and no matter how small or simple the request everyone tries to offer help, advice and opinion without judgement... This really is the industry for me.