Elf n Safety

windfall

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in the idea that the legal action taken is disproportionate because the guy could only have hurt himself... How much does a couple of paramedics, ambulance, a casualty team and hospital services cost if things go wrong? I have no idea but I doubt its free - there is a cost to society for his increased risk taking.

Thats a very interesting can of worms :biggrin: how about all the people that partake in hobbies and sports where risk of injury is almost expected ? Motor sport,rugby,football,boxing ect should they face fines for taking risks ?

All light hearted banter :thumbup1:

thought the additional taxes etc on booze & ciggy's was supposed to cover additional cost to society ??? :sneaky2:

Nope, the costs to the NHS and costs from lost revenue due to not working through ill health etc far outweigh the collected taxes. It's really the only reason they spend money trying to get us to stop drinking and smoking.

Back to the OP, this is completely ridiculous!

6k costs when there are scum out there causing untold misery to others and receiving far, far smaller fines or slaps on wrists.:thumbdown:

Anyone who has done their fair share of cony hedge topping will have done plentyof balancing on dead pointy twigs, not tied in and one handing the 020.:sneaky2:

Plus maybe his RA stated it was too warm to wear chainsaw proofs and that he could get better footholds without clumsy protective boots.:laugh1:

I bet there isn't one of us who could say that they have never, ever breached not even one HSE rule!

Different kettle of fish if he had made an untrained employee do the above.

Anyone plenty of people cost the NHS loads of money each year from DIY accidents, should we all grass our neighbours up when we see them with a drill in their hands putting up a shelf without checking for electricity cables first?!

My guess would be that the fella has been doing this sort of thing for many years. he's aware it is wrong but not aware of the possible consequences of his actions financially if caught. If he knew he could get a 6 grand fine he probably would have done something about it. I didnt know i could get fined 6 grand!!

We as an industry complain that we are underpaid for our skill level and not treated as seriously (money wise) as say plumber electricians etc. So we should surely be working to good standards of work and health and safety yet so many people are saying that this all stinks? how are we to raise the profile of true professional arborists with this attidude? Ok this guy was a gardener and the assessor could have done things differently but surely we shouldn't be supporting this guy?

My guess would be that the fella has been doing this sort of thing for many years. he's aware it is wrong but not aware of the possible consequences of his actions financially if caught. If he knew he could get a 6 grand fine he probably would have done something about it. I didnt know i could get fined 6 grand!!

Agreed, but most of us would not imagine that some cretin would be sneaking around taking pictures, the fact that this despicable person works within our industry just make me very sad :thumbdown::thumbdown: