Elf n Safety

windfall

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fines total of 4K isn't based on the tree it,s based on being guilty of breaking three statutory laws and the fine is decided by the judge.

If you divide it by how many times he has got away with this monkey business, as I said earlier he has got away cheap, he has an entire career behind him, not following the rules has saved him thousands, don't feel sorry for him he is well in pocket.

You're making a big assumption here.... you don't know how many times he has done this. This may well have been the first time, in which case he hasn't got away cheap at all. How do you know he has "an entire career behind him, not following the rules" that has "saved him thousands" and that he is "well in pocket"???

how many on this site has "just stopped on double yellows" for what ever reason ...if this became the norm will joe public get a tax rebate offset against one's due tax for snitching up violators for whatever it is?.?..? with all the cameras and stealth taxes i'm just wondering where this will end...and that is my rant over i guess my dad taught me well to always keep my mouth shut :sneaky2:

Might be worth reading "Chainsaws At Work" - http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg317.pdf

Clearly states: "Anyone who uses a chainsaw at work should have received adequate training and be competent in using a chainsaw for that type of work. The training should include:

- dangers arising from the chainsaw itself;

- dangers arising from the task for which the chainsaw is to be used; and

- the precautions to control these dangers, including relevant legal requirements"

And under the section Use of chainsaws in tree work

"‘All workers who use a chainsaw should be competent to do so. Before using a chainsaw to carry out work on or in a tree, a worker should have received appropriate training and obtained a relevant certificate of competence or national competence award, unless they are undergoing such training and are adequately supervised. However, in the agricultural sector, this requirement only applies to first-time users of a chainsaw.’

This means everyone working with chainsaws on or in trees should hold such a certificate or award unless:

- it is being done as part of agricultural operations (eg hedging, clearing fallen branches, pruning trees to maintain clearance for machines); and

- the work is being done by the occupier or their employees; and

- they have used a chainsaw before 5 December 1998.

In any case, operators using chainsaws for any task in agriculture or any other industry must be competent under PUWER 98."

NOTICE THE WORD - "should", as in "should be competent", "should hold a certificate" etc etc

DID YOU KNOW - over a third of small business owners have never heard of PUWER 98?

Compare this with drink driving, where you MUST NOT exceed the blood alcohol limit. Compare with speeding, where you MUST NOT exceed a certain speed. Driving without due care and attention, where you MUST NOT use a mobile phone when driving, etc etc. And then compare the penalties.

Edited by Pedroski

Then fine seems pretty steep to me - there's a lot of people out there flouting the rules... is this fine going to deter them? I doubt it.

He was at least wearing a helmet.

The neighbour should have gone over and told him what he was doing wrong and to stop work. If he had refused then he could have taken the action he took.

Luckily for us, we're all professionals, and wouldnt do anything wrong...ever, because we're good like that. So this whole scenario will not apply to us, and it will remove unqualified scum from our streets, by making examples of them. This in turn will generate far more work for us qualified types, so we'll all go to work with a smile on our faces and spare cash in our pockets once more.

thanks Mr NPTC assessor man, and Mr H&SE man, and of course the courts for saving us all from this cretinous being, the world is now a safer place, we can all sleep at night now. god Bless you. :thumbup1:

Then fine seems pretty steep to me - there's a lot of people out there flouting the rules... is this fine going to deter them? I doubt it.

He was at least wearing a helmet.

The neighbour should have gone over and told him what he was doing wrong and to stop work. If he had refused then he could have taken the action he took.

How do you know he didn't speak to him?