Milk it

Rich2484

Did any one watch that program with Huge Fernly-whitstow (sp) about broiler chickens, he wanted to stop the production of cheap chickens in favour of free range, 99% of people could not care less about who or what suffer in the production of their food, they just want cheap food.

I honestly think that given the chance of saving farmers or saving 10p a litre on their milk, a huge proportion would go for the saving.

but then the flip side of that is the latest Jimmy's series, people were up in arms about diary bull calves being shot at 2 days old and now rose veal sales go up. IMO, people do care but just need to be educated.

This whole milk debate isnt a subsidy one, its the processors cutting prices to unsustainable level. If it carries on we will be mostly importing milk from a lot worse welfare countries then ours, just like the pork and lamb a lot eat.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a bit of googling on this last night but couldn't find the answer to my question.

I was looking into the supply and demand side of this dairy milk thing.

Is it possible that the dairy farmers are producing too much milk so they can't command the higher price due to a glut.

If some go out of business and a shortage results would the price go up?

I don't know if this is the case with this particular commodity but isn't this normally the way things work in our loving caring society.

farmers get subsidies and work too.

if your a alcoholic or drug addict or unemployed you get benifits arnt the benefits just a kind of subsidy?????

i know which i would back !

Drug addicts, the unemployed and alcoholic's are hardly good role models, if I had to be treated the same as them I would be truly depressed:thumbdown:

Benefits are generally supposed to be a short turn fix to allow people to get back on their feet, to run a whole industry on them is IMO ridiculous.

I personally have a lot of friends that work in farming so I wouldn't be bothered to pay even an extra 50p for my milk (I only use it for tea/coffee anyway!) if it meant that these hard working people could carry on their dairy farming. The way the country is though I can imagine 90% of our population would be pee'd off at a 10p increase and see it as just another price increase in our 2012 messed up Britian.

I would gladly pay an extra 10p litr to keep the farmers going, i believe in supporting them as much as possible. They help to create the countryside we all enjoy.

On the subject of grants etc. I was once working on a project for a well know ' lord '. he was renovating a home he had bought for his son. As it was a listed building in a run down state, he managed somehow to get a grant to cover the renovations. What did he do. He built a great big indoor swimming pool and jaccuzzi. How can that be right !

Yeah Im going to say that its import due to the uk not actually making it in country. Exept for jcb, and a make of hedge cutter that I can't remember.

Another thing that was packed in in this country and moved abroad.