Valdotain Tresse VT pulley set up. Photo's

hesslemount

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swapped my lock jack for some nice pike rods couldnt get on with it...i like tuning my vt's,might be completly a sad git but i get a feeling of satisfaction when its doing the job properly after being re tied and tuned!

scorch with a minimum wraps and braid combo vt not under tension

http://lime013.jpg

Save yourself all the hassle of how many wraps to braids and whether to use a normal pulley or hitchclimber and set it up like this:

Dean do you ever use a pulley to run the tail of the rope through so it enters the clutch straight? i found when branch walking and it was pulling the rope at the angle in your photo it would not tend slack or ascend as smoothly.

Im just curious as i saw it in the instructions for the lock jack sport but never seen one used or had tryed it with mine before i got shot of it.

Matty, Nice clean set up. Have you experimented with tying the VT a 180 deg opposite orientation? It is the way I use mine. I found the pulley will hit at the open patch of rope and tend smoother and also the X that bumps into the eyesplice will no longer be on that side, making adjustments more smooth. This seems to work for me at least.

Dean, What a great shot of the lock jack! You could sell it to use for one of their advertisements.

I'm a little bothered by the rope angles. It looks like your primary TIP with pulley is below your redirect by a considerable amount? If so, that's an awful lot of rope and I would not be fond of that setup. If something were to fail, that's too much slack. It generally would be worth resetting your TIP as opposed to redirecting.

All in all, I think the Lockjack is a fantastic tool that requires some getting use to but, truthfully, there is nothing else, including the VT that will tend slack as smoothly.

Dave

• 2 months later...
I'm getting to my wits end with the vt despite having heaps of help on the forum. I get it for branch walking and one handed self tending friction hitch and in that respect it's great. What I don't get is using it whilst ascending. It just doesn't advance right without someone pulling the rope through at the bottom. I was told the vt stays about waist height and the rope feeds itself through.

What I'd REALLY REALLY appreciate is some photo's of the vt IN ACTION: i.e. clipped on harness pre ascent and mid ascent. I don't wanna be beaten but I'm getting close to going back to my old Blake's hitch and to never return to vt world again. At the moment I'm using an isc fixed cheek pulley with 1.5M of 8mm aramide tied off with single fishermans onto crab.

Go on make my Christmas. Please

Hi mate. I have not read all the replies to this topic as I am lazy, but thought I would draw your attention to a variation. Someone may have covered it already but I will repeat it in any case.

You mentioned you want a self feeding system? On the vid in the second or third reply you can see that the climber is pulling himself up on the line, then locking and feeding the slack through with the other spare hand when he has gone a meter or so up. well look at the photos below and follow the numbers for reference info.

THE V T AND KNOTS JOINING IT TO THE KARABINA ARE NOT DONE UP PROPERLY THEY ARE FOR SYSTEM DEMONSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY :)

I JUST THREW IT TOGETHER USING THE WINDOW LATCH AS A FAKE ANCHOR TO SHOW THE GENERAL JIST!

1. You can obviosly use a gadget here with a length of string to make bringing the shunt cord in a bit easier from a distance, I am just showing the principle of a friction knot.

2. The main line goes through the D or sliding ring (3.) (Karabina used for demo instead of slider as I have not got a harness to use right now)

4. Shunt cord comes from 1. and attaches onto pulley to self shunt the V T up as you ascend.

5. If you want to get a good pull simply hold your shunt knot and pull the system through at point 6. until the V T is away from you. You can get a reet good pull at point 7. and the V T locks, unlocks and moves it'self.

To branch walk or descend just pull the system to you again by reversing what I have just shown.

I love this system hope you do too mate,

All the best,

img005.jpg.8f3b07280f9bef4c12dcd9f20dba1e04.jpg

img006.jpg.a81538805b904bf1613f2d15fa11c357.jpg