Hedge work - Rubbish Bags

Andrewmpalmer2003

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew, Welcome to the forum,

We find builders bags can be easier and quicker to move hedge clippings than using a chipper especially if its a rear garden or fine clippings. Smaller bags are harder and slower to fill unless its really fine clean clippings. Leylandii clippings in builders bags are heavy anyway 1/4 full is plenty for one man. If they are going to sit in the bags for a few days it may be worth covering them as they get heavier when wet.

I used to do nearly all our hedgecutting myself until last year when i developed acute tenosynovitis in my left wrist from a big bad hedge that took a few long days. Now the lads are well skilled in the arts of hedgetrimming.

Regards Andrew.

There are many sizes of bags available - at a cost

(BAG Supplies Ltd :: Packaging Suppliers covering the UK and Europe)

We use barrow bags for our logs but have also used them for general rubbish including hedge clippings etc.

Other options could include using dust bins (I could imagine wheelie bins being useful ) or some old tarpaulins (lay out on ground, throw waste on, gather corners up and carry off)

Try looking in the de-con trucks at work, the clear bags used to put your fire kit in if it's be contaminated, big and strong. Not as strong as a ton bag but better that a black bag.

Sorry for the slight de-rail. But, Matt, looking at your avatar either you've somehow broken into my PC's hard drive and stolen some of my pictures or you too have visited the amazing temple complexes at Ankhor Wat. :thumbup1:

To the OP, a large round plastic dustbin is also useful for filling with your hedge trimmings and carrying it back to your truck or van. That way you can also practice for another part time job as a binman, when your not firefighting or gardening. :lol:

Just use the ton sacks but don't fill them up so much, assuming you use a trailer Empty them out into the trailer and use a fork to unload the trailer at the other end!

Used to do it this way before the tipper came along. Less is more when filling the bags....

Thanks for all your replies, we used to have v large transparent sacks for decontaminated fire gear etc, but for some reason were replaced with smaller and flimsier ones, I was gutted, they were made especially apparently for us!!!.

I will ask the decon local station and thanks for the plant tub, that's a great tip, I never thought of that idea. I'm also on the look out for a large trailer with mesh sides, you know the sort of thing. Enough room for 2 mower or a lot of rubbish!!!

Any ideas of second hand ones, I've tried eBay and gumtree no luck so far.

Andrew