Sub Contracting

the hedge man

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just think about aLl your overheads, training and retraining, as soon as you sub out to others they are benefitting from this without the expenses. they dont have to pay you holiday or sick, you have to find that out of your day rate. Yes there is a recession on and times are tight, for all of us, and expectations must be reasonable, but across the board. the last thing we need is experienced and skilled crews no longer able to afford to stay in the industry, this will not stand us in good stead for the future, either as individuals or as an industry.

Is that a typo?

If not, i will gladly drag brash for you!

No typo ive been there and worked from the bottom at 25quid a day 6years ago wen i first left college you can live off peanuts you get what you pay for im happy with the 2 guys i use i no i cud ring them up middle of xmas dinner they would help me out they have all kit tipper trucks no how to use ropes good with customers and hard grafters good groundies work just as hard if not more so than climbers so they deserve to be paid for it.

I am regularly sent CV's for fresh out of college climbers or climbers needing a bit more work willing to work for £80-100 per day. That is who is dropping the going rate not the main contractor. Don't forget this is up north, teams of 2 cannot command £500+ for the day, it just doesn't happen (thats a standard team, not mogs, loaders, etc). There is the odd day where you will exceed your day rate but not many.

How much is an employed climber on? £400 a week? Are you telling me it costs £200 a week to run as a subbie climber (£600 takings - £400 wage)?

Wet days - wear a waterproof (just like the main contractor). Sick days - main contractors have them too and by law you are not entitled to sick pay from your employer when employed so no difference there.

Mozza, day rate, gut buster breakfast between jobs, 3.30pm finish. He couldn't ask for a better employer!!

Lets put this another way. What percentage of the day rate should go to the subbie climber?