My first private job

Rich2484

Nothing wrong with the image of Disco and Trailer IMO. The biggest problem is getting it fitted into many domestic driveways.

I know its a little different, but I used to take my trailer behind the van when collecting machinery for repair, just so I could pick up more in one trip, but it was a PITA getting it into drives, or hitching it off and leaving it on the road, what with chocks under the wheels etc. Now I dont bother and the trailer only gets used once or twice a year.

Many of my pro gardener customers use vans rather than pickups because of the security issues. If you can park in the drive its not so bad, but if you have to park on the road with kit in the back???

Transit size is the most popular, VW Caddy or Transit Connect are a little too small.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking transit. Will have to see what comes in the future, at the moment the discovery is a family car aswell, so I'm going to get the rear side windows sign written up and the hard wheel cover on back written up aswell.

Should look good enough to show professionalism without looking tatty.

I do see what you are saying as I'm always laughing at vans that have no job too small, or have so many types of jobs sign written your not really sure what hey actually do.

I will be going for hedge cutting and small tree removal, leaving the bigger stuff for bigger companies or passing on details of other companies that could do them.

Grass cutting will be good aswell, domestic only at first.

This is the outline for what I will be doing. But this type of work is really seasonal so during winter I will be working for the arborist, and driving machines.

This is the main outline but watch this space as it could all change.

I'm not looking at anyone's post as a criticism post, all information is gladly received and give food for thought.

I know it's all going to be a big mess until I get going, but I like a good challenge and I like to challenge myself now and again.

Thanks for all the posts by the way.

Superb attitude you have there.:thumbup1:

England is not much better I would have thought

What does basic chainsaw cost=crosscutting

Here it's around £400

CS30 & 31 are usually combined for around Euro €700 approx if I remember correctly , 38/39 €1275 , 32 €575 ish , 40/41 combined €875 ish.I don't regret spending a penny on any of them.

And to the OP , good luck with it :thumbup1:

Vehicle wise

For any job not involving much rubbish away or chipping away then a vivaro is a good choice- you can get 600 miles on a tankful- £100

They go like a rocket for long runs though fuel is not so good

Great security though only 3 up front so not so good as a family car.

When you are starting out- anything that can store your gear is a good move as you can then drive straight home after a days work rather than dropping off tools at your base. Grass left in the van makes the mornings a bit sweet though and you tend to get acquainted with plenty of spiders who have done the night shift in your cab:001_smile:

Well that was fantastic, I loved every minute of it and the whole job went according to plan, nothing went wrong and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

There was a bit were I turned up in the morning and thought the trees had grown since I priced the job, and there was butterflies in my stomach with a thought that if anything goes wrong it is all down to me.

But this soon passed and I got on with it, even the missis has said I have come home today in a better mood. Not that I don't enjoy any other work I do, just know that it's not my job an dim working for someone else so I don't get a say in how the job gets done.

Most important thing was the customer was very happy with the work.

Bring on the next.