Big leaning Ash.

pault

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree, learn to do the job right imo, in tree work you can't carry every single tool or gadget, especially if climbing is involved.

I have never used a ratchet strap, only Barbour chaired a tree once and that was my first month, never done it since.

The angle makes no difference especially if it's up on the plate , the methods the same,its knowing when to remove the saw in the horizontal cut to the rear, make as small a hinge as possible and go as far back as you dare, that way on the angle back cut, it's like cutting an elastic band. Just stand to the side:001_smile:

When i first started i worked with an old guy who had felled trees all his life and when it came to ash leaning or straight he always used a chain and its always stuck in my head im well aware of the correct way to do a dog tooth and ive only ever had one go and i never had a strap on it, it was on a sharp bank next to a river when it went i had no where to go it split clean up the middle and it landed and rested on the still standing bit. So if anybody ever asks about leaning ash i say strap big saw little bar then you can visit the pub after not the morg:001_smile:

Well, big cheers to you lot for the advice. Turned up at the job yesterday with my new shiney ratchet and super sharp saw only to find that the tree must have got tired of leaning and decided to fall over by itself. So logged it it up and left. Bit disapointing but at least it came down in a safe position when nobody was around. im sure ill have another chance to drop a big leaning one.

Well, big cheers to you lot for the advice. Turned up at the job yesterday with my new shiney ratchet and super sharp saw only to find that the tree must have got tired of leaning and decided to fall over by itself. So logged it it up and left. Bit disapointing but at least it came down in a safe position when nobody was around. im sure ill have another chance to drop a big leaning one.

BOOOOOOOORRRRRIIIINNNNNGGGG :thumbdown:

Oh well lol like you say, least its down in a safe position and no damage, you'll be ready for the next one then :)

just shows there must have been plenty of tension and compression on it :) unless it just fell over with the root plate still attatched?

That's forums for you:thumbup1: 4 pages of advice and the tree falls over - brill

I have dropped some big leaners and used ratchet straps and left plenty on the dog tooth, so when it started to rip fibres I had plenty of time to go for a walk. or as the modified saying goes - any felled tree you can walk away from is a goodun:lol: