Im a Topper!

RC0

Reg

pic of vertical split stem, it can happen and does.

Yo scots, You got your answer from Reg...but I'll confirm it....and I've been working in the same area and in big conifers for 38 years. Never had one split the way a maple or cottonwood might.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yo Reg...Great video for sure.

I love the way you have your access line routed through three trees. Great for that RW SRT, I'm sure.

And good work with the drift lining and winching.

Sweet also was squeezing in the crane in such a tite spot that they had to suck in the off side outriggers, which gave them a lighter load chart....prolly no big deal as the trees were quite light.

If I came up to see ya, I'd be afraid that if I brought the woods ported 346, I'd have to sleep with it , or you'd abscond with the little beast. :001_tt2:Same might go for my ported Jonsy 2139T, which would make that poor 201 hide in embarrassment.

Edited by rbtree

Yo Reg...Great video for sure.

I love the way you have your access line routed through three trees. Great for that RW SRT, I'm sure.

And good work with the drift lining and winching.

Sweet also was squeezing in the crane in such a tite spot that they had to suck in the off side outriggers, which gave them a lighter load chart....prolly no big deal as the trees were quite light.

If I came up to see ya, I'd be afraid that if I brought the woods ported 346, I'd have to sleep with it , or you'd abscond with the little beast. :001_tt2:Same might go for my ported Jonsy 2139T, which would make that poor 201 hide in embarrassment.

On the contrary Rog I’d might send ya home with the 346 stuck up your as$, along with that 372 you used to brag about if theres any room left....after I smoke both of them with my ported 390. The 201t, yeah probably, rub it in why dont you.

Wrong also about the wood being light....they was extraordinarily heavy for a fir....far exceeding the green log chart estimate. The trees were actually much older than their girth would suggest....minute growth increments, between 150-200. I can only assume its with growing right on the sea-front like that as has been the same with several other situated jobs we’ve done, but I’m not a fir expert as you know. Soon as you put the saw in you can feel the difference, even with Fomes pini conks all over the place.

The last spar was also out of reach, so we had to used VSL to stop the logs rolling on impact, then winched em up bank until the crane could reach....but again, what looked like little logs were actually weighing in at over 1000lb.

Whachya say da that, ya bum?

Has that 201 been re-tuned by a dealer (not saying you can't) Reg. I know of 2 that have been miraculously transformed with a re-tune. They seem to set the really rich whilst breaking them in - which also seems to take ages. Get it ported get on with it ;)

Has that 201 been re-tuned by a dealer (not saying you can't) Reg. I know of 2 that have been miraculously transformed with a re-tune. They seem to set the really rich whilst breaking them in - which also seems to take ages. Get it ported get on with it ;)

Its already had a muffler mod and a re-tune Pete, so much better than it was but still pretty gutless with a 16in bar. If you back off a little and then engage on high revs its does ok but really lacks the torque anywhere below that. As you know cutting against gravity you wan that instant hit, especially since conifer limbs are so heavy with all the end weight. Hoping that changing the ignition timing is going to make the difference now.

Its already had a muffler mod and a re-tune Pete, so much better than it was but still pretty gutless with a 16in bar. If you back off a little and then engage on high revs its does ok but really lacks the torque anywhere below that. As you know cutting against gravity you wan that instant hit, especially since conifer limbs are so heavy with all the end weight. Hoping that changing the ignition timing is going to make the difference now.

You really have gone native!

I watched the first one with interest as I do small gobs to get it to fly like that, and it flew with precision. I wanted confirmation from you that I was doing it right so all good there.

The third one where you popped a wedge in to prevent it sitting back... I've never seen that done up a tree. I don't carry much with me up a tree, but I'm gonna add a wedge to the kit now. Just leaves the problem of where to put my backy if I put it in my pocket.

Haven't watched it all yet but they look skinny and high, I'll be watching with interest as I'll be back on taller stuff in NZ, by the end of the year if my visa comes through. Thanks for posting the vid Reg:thumbup1: