Best chain type for logging

shooterjim

Hi all. What is the best chain type for general logging work? I'm after something that will really rip through the cord lengths to ring up quickly! I've been using the standard pico dura sharp chain as standard on my ms230 stihl. I've seen some carbide tipped chains, are they any good? Any input appreciated.

ive heard you cant sharpen the carbide tipped chains with a file but may be wrong i use semi-chisel on mine as full chisel dulls quicker :)

You need a " green grit " wheel for Tungsten carbide .

Also I disagree somewhat with the " full chisel dulls quicker than semi " thing . Any chain that has dammage to the cutters , be it full or semi is useless . Once you start to force it you are wasting time energey and working the saw too hard. Just my take on it but I use full chisel all the time and do my best to keep it in wood and nothing else and sharpen up as soon as it needs it .

Get one of Rob D electric (12 volt) chainsaw sharpeners, and then you do not have to worry. You will alway have a sharp saw that cuts straight.

P.S. Full chisel for hardwood. Semi for soft particlarly if you are pointing stakes.

Sent from my Galaxy arse using tupping talk.

Hi all. What is the best chain type for general logging work? I'm after something that will really rip through the cord lengths to ring up quickly! I've been using the standard pico dura sharp chain as standard on my ms230 stihl. I've seen some carbide tipped chains, are they any good? Any input appreciated.

Isn't the dura sharp chain a carbide chain? I've experimented with carbide a few years ago and despite what you read on many forums I really can't see a place for it in 99.99% chainsaw operations.... when it is as sharp as it can possibly be it cuts like a dull steel chain, it still gets dull and if you hit something you can write the chain off - and it costs a fortune!

As spud says get the oregon 95vpx set up - slightly narrower kerf, easy sharpening and very quick indeed! The cutters seem a mite shorter and chain will not last as long but after the picco duro chain it'll feel like it's a different saw!

Can buy here on my site Chainsawbars ? bars, chains and chainsaw accessories but register first, e-mail me on [email protected] and I'll set the discount.

• 1 month later...