Beginners guide to rigging.......

Adam Bourne

Good stuff. Couple of tips I will give for the groundies is handling rope pre/during lowering.

Always keep your arms straight (snapping your elbows straight when you get a shock load is less than pleasant. Plus you WILL drop the rope if it's a decent load)

When letting a load run, as the load is introduced onto the line, if room allows, walk towards the tree/friction device. This will reduce the shock load upon yourself & the system

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also

if the groundie has concerns re how its rigged or weight then say something.

I lowered out a fair sized bit and all the anchor point failed.

Groundies said we thought it might do that so we moved out of the way.

surely if they had concerns then they ought to have stopped me.

also

Very good point, as a fairly new climber i know that from a groundies point of view you dont want to tell the experienced climber how to do his job and it can be quite intimidating but if safety is an issue then say SOMETHING! When rigging now i always double check with the groundies if they are happy with everything and ready for me to cut. sometimes we miss things when in a rhythm and thats when accidents happen. Not saying you did miss something but its worth remembering that things occasionally can and will go wrong.

Right so all you lot wanting to get into rigging or wanting to learn more then get your self on line or order from any book retailers and get yourself the Art and science of practical rigging, along with this thread(i hope) it will be your sole mate with detailed descriptions and pictures of equipment knots hitches and scenarios it is a must for any climbers bookshelf......

First off, This is an amazing thread! very informative and clear. Im fairly new to rigging as was always quite unsure about the different techniques, but as soon as i saw the "art and science of practical rigging" book mentioned i was reaching for the bank card. Brilliant book! It would be nice to see some photos of your rigging setups up close just so we can see all the elements.

Awsome thread, keep it up! :thumbup:

cracking thread!... but i have questions, can 3 strand rope be used for rigging? frjones sells 3 strand 16mm marlow its cheep as chips which would be perfect for me as im just finishing collage and starting to put some kit together. also if this is usable can i just stick it round a porter wrap? and you show a rigging plate with 3 slings on it in an earlier pic, do you realy need the plate their or can you just clip the krabs straight on to the bowline? sorry to slow the thread down its just in 2 years of collage we only had 1 day of rigging and i was the fella up the tree!

cracking thread!... but i have questions, can 3 strand rope be used for rigging? frjones sells 3 strand 16mm marlow its cheep as chips which would be perfect for me as im just finishing collage and starting to put some kit together. also if this is usable can i just stick it round a porter wrap? and you show a rigging plate with 3 slings on it in an earlier pic, do you realy need the plate their or can you just clip the krabs straight on to the bowline? sorry to slow the thread down its just in 2 years of collage we only had 1 day of rigging and i was the fella up the tree!

not really, three strand is a bit rough for modern rigging and pulleys

also

Bob that sound's quite a scary moment, did the groundies walk away from the rigging line? as i've already stated Communication is Key!

First off, This is an amazing thread! very informative and clear. Im fairly new to rigging as was always quite unsure about the different techniques, but as soon as i saw the "art and science of practical rigging" book mentioned i was reaching for the bank card. Brilliant book! It would be nice to see some photos of your rigging setups up close just so we can see all the elements.

Awsome thread, keep it up! :thumbup:

Thanks Paul, i Intend to keep it up.....

you wil see plenty of my rigging set ups soon, and hopefully others to...:thumbup1:

Glad you like the Thread Ed,

3 strand is not really practical anymore but there's no saying you can't use it in some applications a cheap tag line for 1 or lowering small pieces, 3 strand has a lot of stretch which can compromise some rigging scenarios....

I like to use the rigging plate as it keeps a system neat, i don't always use all three slings at once and i do sometimes just use a bowline and 1 sling. then set up another sling as the branch is being sorted on the floor, this way adds speed to the work....

Edited by Adam Bourne

I used 14mm polypropylene before I could afford a rigging kit and took some quite big trees down on it. No good on a porta wrap as it will twist up like mad, you need trunk wraps or redirect through some branches. I still natural crotch rig all the time for the odd small branch and 3 strand is ideal.