Is it actually worth it anymore

SiW

I read this thinking, that is some serious profit every day. If you can do it good on you.

Till I read on and realised you meant turnover, your profit in probably 80-150 per day depending on fuel usage, buggered chain etc.

If you consider the average wage in the uk is 26000 per annum, minus tax which is £2150 - tax per month. Which means you need to work at least 18 of the 19 working days in the month to earn the same as the average wage in the UK. These figures do not include the time you spend quoting, mending etc which are essentially unpaid.

Just so you know.

Jonathan

Thats profit i am talking about. 300 -400 a day.

But you know someone funny...i quote cheaper than my rivals and win good perentage of work i quote..and still mke this profit per day? How i hear you say!...well 7.30am to 7pm is an average work day for me and i work like the hulk..but thats what needs to be done so can make a decent income and beat my competition.

400 is possible if we work a bit harder than your competitin.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats profit i am talking about. 300 -400 a day.

But you know someone funny...i quote cheaper than my rivals and win good perentage of work i quote..and still mke this profit per day? How i hear you say!...well 7.30am to 7pm is an average work day for me and i work like the hulk..but thats what needs to be done so can make a decent income and beat my competition.

400 is possible if we work a bit harder than your competitin.

is this the one

You seem to be doing ok at what you do

I wouldn't spoil that by trying to cut out your supplier

When my truck and chipper got nicked i sold all my power tools to survive for a 14 day period, worst mistake I ever made, still fighting to get back to where I was.

chin up dude, storm cant last forever.

The fact of the matter and to your credit and everyone else's replies to this thread for the most part, We as a industry Don't give up. Everyone sooner or later has one of them days or week or months, where a series of events come around and create a perfect storm of sorts. Andy, your right about your health

without it one really has nothing. I have been blessed and have had good health and a good working life. I only have about 1/2 the buying power of what I had 20 years ago, yet I am greatful and stilling doing my best to serve

my customers.

easy-lift guy

is this the one

You seem to be doing ok at what you do

I wouldn't spoil that by trying to cut out your supplier

Why do ok? ..and not trying to cut up supplier.

trying to tender for work that everyone has the right to tender for.

Best advice i have been giving is when the goings gets tough the tough get going. well if you apply for work and chase work ike you have none ( even when you have plenty )..then business will do well. If you sit around waiting and being scared to chase bigger contracts then things will stay the same.

Just reading back through this thread., and in particular my own post re: my health at that time. We all get down at times about a situation, be it health, work or lack of it or even too much to cope with at times. Things break when we can least afford it, bills pile up and snotty letters start to arrive, oh the deep joy. But all these things can be sorted and over come. Oh yes, it takes hard work, both mentally and physically, when youre quiet you will have to work harder than ever, networking, posting flyers, or even stacking shelves if thats whats needed.

The last 8 months have been a personal kind of hell for me, falling ill, falling iller, under going serious life saving and life changing surgery, at the same time trying not to lose a lifetimes worth of clients. For the most part, I have succeeded, I survived the ops, I survived the meds, I climbed back off my ass asap and got walking around, then cycling around seeing clients, keeping them in the picture. Those I couldnt visit, I called in person. I can now work about 3 days a week, at a push. Some days it totally exhausts me, more than I could imagine. But its worth it.

If anyone really wants something to happen, it will happen, but you have to make it, dont wait for it to come to you.

Best advice i have been giving is when the goings gets tough the tough get going. well if you apply for work and chase work ike you have none ( even when you have plenty )..then business will do well. If you sit around waiting and being scared to chase bigger contracts then things will stay the same.

Hmmm.....

theres way and theres ways

Good luck though

Last two jobs I did I asked what the other quotes were and bot said I was the dearest, they chose me because I came across the best.

I personally think it was because I,m so handsome :001_smile:

One of the biggest mistakes business owners make when they are quiet is to underprice jobs for fear of not getting them.

Be brave and explain exactly what work you will carry out and to what spec, if they do try to barter you down just say you can do it cheer but it may be rushed, you would rather price to do the job correctly without risk to their flower beds, fence panels and lawn.

Czlowiek, I believe what likeitorlumpit means is that you have a good thing going ATM and cutting out not cutting up your supplier for sub work may not be a good idea? You can be the only judge of that if it works for you.

If your decision is worth the risk, its yours to make. I am sure you have done your homework and have determined going direct is better for you?

easy-lift guy