how much???

jltree

I have had loads of phone calls this week from ads I placed 2 years ago when cord was thin on the ground. Cord has gone up a third in 4 years but the cost of a load of logs has barely changed. After the mild winter I have a feeling there is alot of cord about so prices should be more realistic. Of course if the winter bites hard in October we will be back to square one. £35 a metre at road side is enough IMO but then I am buying :biggrin:

Ist fire wood 5% vat?

It's 5% to the end-user, 20% if you're planning to resell. Hence all us woodcutters are wise to be VAT registered. Once all the consumables and hardware is taken into account, you'd have to increase the value by at least a factor of 5 before you're making net contributions to HMRC.

Note that unlike oil, logs are 5% to all end-users.

I only pay 5% on a wagon of wood as I am the end user. I had 50 tonne of oak about a month ago and that was £40 per tonne delivered to my yard, plus 5% vat. It was thinnings with nothing bigger than about 10 inches in diameter.

How far did it have to come? And how hard did you negotiate for that price??!!!

It only had to come about 5 miles and I didn't have to negotiate. Having said that, I did have to wait for it as they first told me it was coming last autumn! Still, finished splitting it today ( hot work ). Most of it already crated up, the rest in a heap outside.

DSCF3104.JPG.403c9c06f6586661db4e11aa6dd171c8.JPG

DSCF3102.JPG.17716e691fc75f05ef27b1de71458c6e.JPG

I thought it was only 5% to domestic end users, if a commercial end user (for example a pub) it would be 20%? Anyone know any different?

Oil and gas are 20% to commercial. Wood is still 5% to commercial (e.g. a pub). The silly bit is that it's really irrelevant - as you pay it to HMRC and they reclaim it! How many businesses consuming lots of firewood are NOT VAT-registered?

That's my understanding too, though it doesn't become a domestic fuel until it's been processed - so a wagon load of roundwood is still a wagon load of wood at 20% vat and doesn't become 5% vat until it's been processed into a useable fuel if that mkes sense.

AND its only 5% when you sell it to the end user, sell it to someone for resale and its 20%.

A