Problems with the new stihl ms 201 t

pd_denmark

lol, have you had anything done to yours at all?

aparently 14000 rpm for the 200t, trying to find the 201t

14000 for the 201t too,

but max power on the 200t is 2.3hp at 10,000rpm

max power on the 201t is 2.4hp at 9,500 rpm

so they dont need to scream as much in the cut.

Huck,s dead right about it being supplied set up correctly.

They do need checking by the dealer on PDI and another dealer tweak after a few weeks is not a bad idea.

Unfortuneately, most small engines these days, from chainsaws to outboard motors are factory tuned for emissions. The manufacturer cannot overcome this, but the owner can.

I had exactly the same problems with my 201t.... thought it was a bag of s@!t, I even changed a brand new chain as i heard the chains were not tempered properly, it was still rubbish so i threw it on the shelf and went back to using my trusty 200(what was 10 times the saw). it sat there for months before i sent it back.

Stihl knew about these problems and told the technician to make sure the butterfly is sitting properly in the carb. if it is and is still running poorly it needs re-tuning. he had to get a special tool to adjust the carb settings as they cant be done without it.

Getting it back tomorrow so will let you know if its going in the bin or getting a thumbs up!!!

If you "lean out" the bottom end (L), the acceleration will get slower (worse).

Where did you get your info from?

To quote the official Stihl Carburetors Manual, troubleshooting chart:

Well if its too rich it will also be poor.

Also dont forget the engine and carb are quite a bit different compared to the 020/200t

The info about removing the h limiter was from a guy working for Stihl, although not a tech guy it was something he had heard as a workaround, didnt get a lot of detail and best with a pinch of salt etc.

I have a 201t that I will have a mess about with next week if I get the chance but it looks like its came from the factory with a rich l screw and the H right out on the limit cap.

I think its safe to say that the 201t seems to need a lot more setting up than the 200t or its even more dependant on fine adjustments etc.

Has anyone stripped one of the engines/carbs down an a 201T yet?

• 9 years later...
11 hours ago, KRC said:

Anybody got a cure for the 201TC in hot weather, starts to falter and gas boils! Cold weather fine, definietly not like my old 20 but its ok. Just the damn hot weather running. Any suggestions? 

No, saws with purge bulbs are better should be able to pull some cooler fuel through.

My main worry with this happening is that when hot and running it could over weaken the mixture so not starting when hot may be protecting the engine.

I have noticed something similar with the 346 I rebuilt when logging in the hot weather last week, so I gave up.