Down plating and towing.

Rich2484

So been looking at down plating vehicles ut wanted to know how it would effect what you can tow?

I know I have read all the threads about 3.5t being useless for arb work, but this van isn't going to be used for arb more garden work etc.

But it will have to tow either a chipper for hedge work or a trailer.

If it weighs 2600 and is down rated to 3500 what is towable mass?

Pure simple Primary School arthimatic.

I cannot see how one can go down to 3500 from 2600 btw.

But there will ALWAYS be an aluminium type plate, generally pop rivetted, below the bonnet or on a door jamb.

It will have a whole plethoration of numbers / figures on it.

GVM = the maximum allowable weight of the vehicle with fuel, pax, tools, clag , whetever.

Axle weights, numbered as in axle 1 axle 2 etc.

These are the max permissabile masses for each axle, the sum of all axles WILL be more than the GVM, To allow for reasonable overloading of any particular axle

Then GTM , a bigger number/the biggest number, this specifies the trailer weight towable, by subtracting GTM-GVM, and always the plated weights, no nonsense that the truck will be underloaded therefore allowed more on the trailer etc etc.

However the only anomoly is that it is the actual laden weight of the trailer being towed, NOT/regardless of what the trailer is plated at

gibber

mutter

twitch

I do understand the subject, jist na guid at explaining it.

cheers

Marcus

Thanks skyhuck.

Think I got it so total axle minus total weight equals towable weight!

No not really, there is no formula, what the vehicle can tow will depend on what the manufacturer designed it to do. What vehicle did you have in mind?

So been looking at down plating vehicles ut wanted to know how it would effect what you can tow?

If it weighs 2600 and is down rated to 3500 what is towable mass?

What does it say in the handbook, the V5 and the plate??

If the original info stated it was safely capable of towing say 3500 then that will not have changed by downplating the GVW of the vehicle

If the downplating has also affected the GTW then that might limit what can be towed depending on the actual weight of the vehicle at the time of towing a trailer

A trailer with standard over-run brakes will be limited to 3500 MAM

Towing over 750 kgs with a 3500 GVW vehicle requires the driver to be under B+E licence rules

Manufacturers towing limit, if there is one, will not have changed

Check to see what the current GTW is