climbing set up help !!

nathan marshall

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Looks fine to me mate, With rope and cord i find that if the ropes soft use a firm chord and vice versa, people prefer 10mm to 8mm as its slightly larger to grip and doesn't burn your fingers when descending quickly, remember to use heat resistant chord with a pulley type friction save e.g. art ropeguide as the friction that is normally at the anchor point is now transferred to your knot.

Looks fine to me mate, With rope and cord i find that if the ropes soft use a firm chord and vice versa, people prefer 10mm to 8mm as its slightly larger to grip and doesn't burn your fingers when descending quickly, remember to use heat resistant chord with a pulley type frictionave e.g. art ropeguide as the friction that is normally at the anchor point is now transferred to your knot.

Does it make a big difference with a rope guide or other friction saving device or is a cambium saver good enough if set correctly

Does it make a big difference with a rope guide or other friction saving device or is a cambium saver good enough if set correctly

It's not really a question of right or wrong.

The branch produces a lot of friction - a cambium saver produces less - a rope guide produces less still.

The good thing about a friction hitch is that you can adjust the set-up so that it provides just the required amount of friction an individual climber wants.

• 3 weeks later...

carrying on with my progression with my new set up..... ive been using my yale xtc and a eye to eye OP and ive been very impressed using a knut as starting off with it and its wicked climbing a large beech one evening the self tending worked really well and it was biting every time I love it so much easier than just a prussik

here is my next question what would people use as a side strop????

i was thinking:

isc snap crab

new england tachyon rope

eye 2 eye op

pulley

large hms

what other ropes would you advise i was thinking going for something slightly more ridged and what length ??

Because its such a short piece of rope it doesn't really matter too much. Personally I use sterling tri tech as its quite stiff so a good middle ground between a soft light rope and a heavy but easily flippantly steel core. Adding a small 6mm globe or OV Prussic gives you a few more options on how you anchor to branches. I use a captive eye isc crab and run the lanyard through the eye, this way I don't need a pulley.

There are a LOT of options.....