climbing set up help !!

nathan marshall

HI all yes i realise there is a million and one threads about using a hitchclimber and all that jazz, BUT i need some help im transfering from a very simple rope and prussik over a branch style as im endlessly going though gear and it can be hard work some times.

ive got 13 mm xtc at the moment but looking to buy another imori as ive been using my mates for a while. is ther any other suitable ropes that would be good

ive just brought the dmm rapide at capel all i need now is some real hard advice on what sort of cord to use best knot and even whats a good cambium saver out there, are oval crabs best as well??

cheers for any help it will get me going on a new easier set up... hopefully!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI all yes i realise there is a million and one threads about using a hitchclimber and all that jazz, BUT i need some help im transfering from a very simple rope and prussik over a branch style as im endlessly going though gear and it can be hard work some times.

ive got 13 mm xtc at the moment but looking to buy another imori as ive been using my mates for a while. is ther any other suitable ropes that would be good

ive just brought the dmm rapide at capel all i need now is some real hard advice on what sort of cord to use best knot and even whats a good cambium saver out there, are oval crabs best as well??

cheers for any help it will get me going on a new easier set up... hopefully!

I liked the xtc on armour prus but when I bought an imori I didn't get on with armour prus so changed to ocean pollyester which is perfect.

Best knot IMO is vt but maybe try a Knut if your new to a hitch climber.

Cambium savers are all the same to me i just use a real basic one. And yes oval crabs are best.

If you want a different rope to imori get a tachyon.

I liked the xtc on armour prus but when I bought an imori I didn't get on with armour prus so changed to ocean pollyester which is perfect.

Best knot IMO is vt but maybe try a Knut if your new to a hitch climber.

Cambium savers are all the same to me i just use a real basic one. And yes oval crabs are best.

If you want a different rope to imori get a tachyon.

Cheers frankie in regards to purrisk cord what length is best to get or is it trial and error to find the correct length.

i may give it a good go with the xtc and armour to get used to using the hitchclimber set up and then progress from that.

ill wait till its brightened up a bit first

r.

To me pullied friction savers are the boss, the tefalburger ones have the best pulley the pinto rig, it's large diameter bearing pulley is better than what art offers, but it is prone to getting stuck.

I have a homemade job, but would reccomended an art pulley saver, one with a steel link pulley is you can stretch your budget.

As for cord and knot I cannot reccomended anything for you, you just got to experiment and find out for yourself. I like 10mm o.p and either a Knute or vt.

To me pullied friction savers are the boss, the tefalburger ones have the best pulley the pinto rig, it's large diameter bearing pulley is better than what art offers, but it is prone to getting stuck.

I have a homemade job, but would reccomended an art pulley saver, one with a steel link pulley is you can stretch your budget.

As for cord and knot I cannot reccomended anything for you, you just got to experiment and find out for yourself. I like 10mm o.p and either a Knute or vt.

Nice one marc i will possibly look at a cheap is cambium saver first get used to it then at a later date justify something more expensive but possibly more useful as well. also look at getting some armour prussik first as that is suppoed to be good with Yale xtc as im on that at the moment.

as the armour prussik comes by meter what sort of length should i get or is it prettry much tie a fishermans, create knot eith v.t or knute then tie another fishermans and cut off the excess??

Download the 'hitch climbers guide to the canopy'. 1 5m of hitch cord for 8mm should get you a nice tidy hitch.

cheers drew just what i needed.

with the diamiter of prussik cord is it mainly down to personal preferance or is it the types or rope and the knot that are used that will depend on weather you get 8 or 10 mm ?