ethanol increase 2013

Czlowiek Drzewo

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, now an Aspen 2 convert after running a load through my 346 today But the cost is eye watering for the 5 litre cartons and I currently can't store larger amounts. Guess I'll factor it in for better paid jobs only. :-(

I have heard there are problems if you switch to and fro between aspen and normal mix . Any truth in that ?

Forgive my ingnorance, but why are they wanting to improve the ethanol content?

Various reasons, some with more cynicism than others :sneaky2:

1. It's largely carbon neutral, so effectively reduces CO2 emissions. Decide for yourself if that's important...

2. It is produced domestically, so supply is, in theory at least, more secure

3. It creates business opportunities closer to home

4. Producers convince rule-makers that it's a good idea to ensure the lining of their own pockets

I have heard there are problems if you switch to and fro between aspen and normal mix . Any truth in that ?

Not a great deal of experience but changed my 345 over for a purchaser who used Aspen, all I did was drain the saw, let it stand a few days to dry out and then refill and tach, no adjustment necessary.

I have heard that you may need to change the carb components due to absorbtion of fuel but personally would run one or the other and just do the same as the above.

Not a great deal of experience but changed my 345 over for a purchaser who used Aspen, all I did was drain the saw, let it stand a few days to dry out and then refill and tach, no adjustment necessary.

I have heard that you may need to change the carb components due to absorbtion of fuel but personally would run one or the other and just do the same as the above.

Ok Steve . Thanks bud .

This is an interesting thread which has posed a few questions that I can answer.

Switching petween petrol and aspen is not a problem in most cases. Somes engines may need a slight tweak of the L screw for optimum performance but the majority of engines will need no adjustment whatsoever.

No damage or problems will result from the use of Aspen, or from changing between Aspen and Petrol. The use of petrol is not ideal due to the current level of ethanol, which does degrade the inner surface of some plastic fuel tanks causing blockage of the gauze filter in the carb.

Over time, petrol will also soak into the synthetic rubber items such as pick up hoses and carb diaphragms. This allows the solvents to destroy the chemicals in the rubber which keeps it supple. The solvents take over this task as they tend to partially dissolve the rubber, but when the petrol is removed, as in dry storage, or when replaced with Aspen, the rubber can shrink and crack causing leaks etc.

Synthetic rubber exposed to Aspen from new is not attacked by the Aspen as it is with petrol and the rubber lasts much, much longer.

Yes, the Aspen is premixed at 50:1 (2%) with high grade synthetic oil. The current retail of Aspen 2t is £18.15 inc vat for 5litres.

Hope this answers some of the questions.

Sadly, although you guys are the trade, you are also the customers that this product is aimed at so the RRP is aimed at you.

The vioilns will start playing when I say "there is very little margin for us dealers" but its true and it becomes unviable to stock and sell if we discount it.

You can however buy at a 'pro user price' straight from Anglo American oil, and bypass us dealers. It only saves a pound or two per can, which is worth having, but unless you order 54 plus, cans there is a £20.00 delivery charge.

Some dealers may offer a small discount for a quantity purchase over the counter.